Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

molever

Is severance pay on W2 considered as retirement plan for tax purposes

Is severance pay on W2 considered as retirement plan for tax purposes?  I received 3 months of severance pay in 2017, and on my W-2 Box 13 had retirement plan checked, is that correct???  Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

No.  Severance pay is ''separation'' pay given to employees by some employers upon termination of employment.  If Box 13 was checked for Retirement plan this means that you participated in your employer's retirement plan during the year. This might be a 401(k) plan, 403(b) plan, SEP-IRA, SIMPLE-IRA, or another type of pension plan. If you participate in a retirement plan, your ability to deduct contributions to a traditional IRA may be limited based on your income.

molever

Thank you, TurboTaxDawnC.  I also believed that there was a mistake on that W-2.  I called company benefits and their people also feel that box was checked in error, so told me to call Payroll Dep't. to get a corrected W-2 made.  So now I have a Case Number there.  Thanks.
DawnC0
Intuit Alumni

You are welcome - the check in that box doesn't mean that your severance pay is retirement income - it only means that you were enrolled in a retirement plan..

I received severance from my company in Texas inJanuary, and moved to Michigan January 1, 2019.  Plus I received a payout from a Non-qualified Pension Plan.  All had federal, SS Taxes, but nothing in the state of Michigan.  My tax burden in Michigan is now huge based on this payout.  It will also happen again in 2020 as my severance is paid in two lump sums.  Since it is from my work in Texas it is really taxable income in Michigan?

Note employment ended 12/31/2018, but payment received in 2019.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies