turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

IreneD

I receive a monthly pension and working on my 2016 taxes, a portion of the pension income from my 1099-R is showing as excluded. I turned 59 in 2/16. Is that why?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
MichaelDC

I receive a monthly pension and working on my 2016 taxes, a portion of the pension income from my 1099-R is showing as excluded. I turned 59 in 2/16. Is that why?

No, turning 59-1/2 in 2016 only keeps you from incurring a 10% penalty for early distribution.

If you made any after-tax contributions to your pension/annuity plan, you can exclude part of your pension/annuity from taxable income.

Note: Your contributions are reflected in box 5, Form 1099-R.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
MichaelDC

No, turning 59-1/2 in 2016 only keeps you from incurring a 10% penalty for early distribution.

If you made any after-tax contributions to your pension/annuity plan, you can exclude part of your pension/annuity from taxable income.

Note: Your contributions are reflected in box 5, Form 1099-R.

IreneD

Thank you for your help!
MichaelDC

Thank you. More than a pleasure!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies