turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Jlrevitte

I was wondering if my husband is considered to be a dependent. He is 100% disabled from the military, so he does collect retirement, but does not have a job.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
Carl
Level 15

I was wondering if my husband is considered to be a dependent. He is 100% disabled from the military, so he does collect retirement, but does not have a job.

A married person can never be claimed as a dependent on any return, ever. You still file married filing joint. There is no requirement for both of you to have income. Your husband's VA disability pay is not taxable or reportable on any return, ever.

Jlrevitte

Thank you for the reply Carl! I was confused with the wording the VA/IRS website was offering. I appreciate the help!
Carl
Level 15

Now you know why you don't get any tax reporting documents from the VA. 🙂
But in the program where it figures your sales tax deduction, you'll be asked if you want to include any non-taxed/non-reported income for that. Say yes, and enter the amount of the disability pay. That is used *only* to figure a higher sales tax deduction for you. The VA pay is not reported to the IRS, because it doesn't need to be.
Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies