Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

I entered a 1099-R with a distribution code of g (it is for a normal rollover) but it thinks it is a disaster distribution and it asking me what type of disaster.

Seems like a bug - but I don't know why it is asking me what kind of disaster this normal rollover (dist code g) is for.  Then it asks me all these other disaster related questions.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

I entered a 1099-R with a distribution code of g (it is for a normal rollover) but it thinks it is a disaster distribution and it asking me what type of disaster.

TurboTax has to deal with multiple types of situations and there are special rules for 1099-R's issued to people in disaster areas, which are widespread.  If a question does not apply to you, you can safely answer no and Continue.

View solution in original post

9 Replies

TurboTax has to deal with multiple types of situations and there are special rules for 1099-R's issued to people in disaster areas, which are widespread.  If a question does not apply to you, you can safely answer no and Continue.

Thanks, but it is not asking me if we used the money for a disaster, it is saying "for the qualified disaster distribution report" choose the type of disaster.  so it isn't asking me if we used it for a disaster or not (which we could answer no), but it is already making the assumption we DID USE it for a disaster.  the other odd things is, if you look at the screen print, it is referencing 2017 disaster.  Even if I leave the type of disaster dropdown blank, it continues to ask me very specific disaster related questions.  I understand I can not answer questions that don't apply, but this seems very different.

so I think I am okay - I did look at the UNDERLYING forms, and checkbox that asks if it is a distribution for a 2017 qualified disaster? is NOT checked.  so I am good.  I think however that TT can do a better job in the interview portion for this area.  They should first ask that very same question that is on the form.  thanks, I am good now.

Yes, this question related originally to Hurricane Harvey, but has been expanded to all Presidential disaster areas.  The wording definitely needs to be updated, and that's what the programmers may have been working on that started this problem.  You can skip any question in TurboTax.  If it does not create an error when you try to file, you'll be okay.  If it does, I have already posted it to our issues board.

Thank you again - I really appreciate your responses.

I tested it, and it says $0 was claimed as a disaster payment, so I don't think it will mess up your filing.
skroach99

I am having the same issue when using code J
dollfinjp

I am having the same issue when using distribution  code 7.
BG142

me too.  it is a turbotax online version glitch that they need to fix
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies