turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

State of Michigan return. Form 4884 for the $20,000 per person pension deduction. Where is it in turbo tax? I can not find it when reviewing. Thanks for any help

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
PatriciaR

State of Michigan return. Form 4884 for the $20,000 per person pension deduction. Where is it in turbo tax? I can not find it when reviewing. Thanks for any help

You will want to verify your selection in the Retirement and Pension Benefits section of your Michigan State tax return.  Your selection for the Type of retirement and pension benefit is what allows the subtraction from Form 4884 to occur.  If you choose Type N,other income subject to Michigan Tax was designated it will not calculate the subtraction

If your pension is eligible to be subtracted from taxable income pursuant to the MI state income tax guidelines, you would need to choose the applicable type (M, R, G, P or C) next to Type in that screen

Click on screenshot below for details

Here are the steps to verify and/or change your choice for the Type of Retirement and Pension Benefits in Michigan:

·         Sign into your account and click Take me to my return

·         Click on State (in left menu column) and select Continue

·         Select Edit next to Michigan under Status of your state returns

·         Select Edit next to your Retirement Income

·         Select Revisit next to Retirement Income and Pension Deduction

·         Select Edit next to the Retirement form under Retirement Income and Pension Summary

·         Verify and/or change your choice next to Type (click on screenshot below for details)

If you need additional assistance, please comment and I will assist further.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
PatriciaR

You will want to verify your selection in the Retirement and Pension Benefits section of your Michigan State tax return.  Your selection for the Type of retirement and pension benefit is what allows the subtraction from Form 4884 to occur.  If you choose Type N,other income subject to Michigan Tax was designated it will not calculate the subtraction

If your pension is eligible to be subtracted from taxable income pursuant to the MI state income tax guidelines, you would need to choose the applicable type (M, R, G, P or C) next to Type in that screen

Click on screenshot below for details

Here are the steps to verify and/or change your choice for the Type of Retirement and Pension Benefits in Michigan:

·         Sign into your account and click Take me to my return

·         Click on State (in left menu column) and select Continue

·         Select Edit next to Michigan under Status of your state returns

·         Select Edit next to your Retirement Income

·         Select Revisit next to Retirement Income and Pension Deduction

·         Select Edit next to the Retirement form under Retirement Income and Pension Summary

·         Verify and/or change your choice next to Type (click on screenshot below for details)

If you need additional assistance, please comment and I will assist further.

Bkroll
Returning Member

Why does MIchigan get to delay getting you the forms by 01-31-2021 when all others have to?????? 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies