turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bkg1
Level 2

Spousal IRA Excess contribution.

So, I have a spousal IRA which funded for year 2020 in Feb 2021. Realized immediately that I did a ROTH IRA contribution as well in late 2020. So initiated the Return of Excess contribution and got a letter explaining I will receive the 1099-R only in Jan 2022.

After some research I am understanding I can fill 1099-R myself. Box 1 = excess contribution + applicable earning ($2029.39). Box 2a = applicable earning ($29.39). Box 7 = 1 & 8. Check the checkbox "The IRA/SEP/Simple box is checked on my copy of 1099-R".

Some questions 

1. Am I getting this correct. 

2. Turbotax Premier Desktop is suggesting Form 4852, is that really needed?

3.. Do I need to fill 5329 myself and where is that option?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

@bkg1 wrote:

So, I have a spousal IRA which funded for year 2020 in Feb 2021. Realized immediately that I did a ROTH IRA contribution as well in late 2020. So initiated the Return of Excess contribution and got a letter explaining I will receive the 1099-R only in Jan 2022.

After some research I am understanding I can fill 1099-R myself. Box 1 = excess contribution + applicable earning ($2029.39). Box 2a = applicable earning ($29.39). Box 7 = 1 & 8. Check the checkbox "The IRA/SEP/Simple box is checked on my copy of 1099-R".

Some questions 

1. Am I getting this correct. 

2. Turbotax Premier Desktop is suggesting Form 4852, is that really needed?

3.. Do I need to fill 5329 myself and where is that option?

No.  form 4852 is  "Substitute 1099-R" only used to correct an incorrect 10990R that the insurer refused to correct.   You have not even received a 1099-R so there is nothing to correct.

You said  "So, I have a spousal IRA which funded for year 2020 in Feb 2021. Realized immediately that I did a ROTH IRA contribution as well in late 2020"

What was returned?  A "spousal IRA can either be a Roth or a Traditional IRA" which was returned? - a Roth contribution or a Traditional IRA contribution and for which spouse?

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
bkg1
Level 2

Both ROTH and Trad IRA are on my wife's name the contributions added up to 8000. So I submitted ROE from Trad IRA for $2000.

My contributions are separate $4000 in ROTH. 

@bkg1 wrote:

Both ROTH and Trad IRA are on my wife's name the contributions added up to 8000. So I submitted ROE from Trad IRA for $2000.

My contributions are separate $4000 in ROTH. 

A return of Traditional IRA contributions made in 2020 for 2020 should have a code 8 (and 1 if under age 59 1/2) in box 7, the total returned amount in box 1 and the earnings in box 2a  and the IRA/SEP.SIMPLE box checked.

If you know those amounts you can file it now and avoid amending when the real 1099-R comes.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies