Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Spinoff of Brighthouse. Since I know my Cost Basis = zero. Do I still have to do the following: "I'll enter additional info on my own" or "Guide me step-by-step" process

This is regarding the Spinoff of Brighthouse from Metlife and the payment of cash-in-lieu of the fractional share of Brighthouse. After entering information for Box 1a, 1c, 1b, 1d, 1e - Cost or other basis below that is this 

"If you have additional info about this sale, you can enter it on your own, or we can guide you." You have a choice between clicking on the button "I'll enter additional info on my own" or clicking on the button "Guide me step-by-step" 

Do I do this or not or just click Done? I am just curious, if anyone has done it. I seemed to be in the same boat with everyone else who has mention Metlife and Brighthouse on this message board.  

I have included a pic of it below from TT Deluxe, if you want to know what I talking about.

Thank you for the assistance.

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Spinoff of Brighthouse. Since I know my Cost Basis = zero. Do I still have to do the following: "I'll enter additional info on my own" or "Guide me step-by-step" process

If you've received cash in lieu, then leave those bottom two options alone.

Cost basis (box 1E) should be zero, to reflect no basis, and after you've entered the Sales category, you are finished.  You'll pay tax correctly on the entire cash in lieu.  

View solution in original post

6 Replies

If you've received cash in lieu, then leave those bottom two options alone.

Cost basis (box 1E) should be zero, to reflect no basis, and after you've entered the Sales category, you are finished.  You'll pay tax correctly on the entire cash in lieu.  

Thanks for responding back and help..Cheryl  Have a nice day!

In the same boat but my form does not have a box 1e and I have a direct rebistration 1099b and a distributiom trnasactiom advice form 1099 b and cant finish filing without a cost basis and daTE....and do I list both or just one of these documents

I'm not sure of your question, but if they're from the same transaction, then they only need to be listed once.

I received 8 shares in the spinoff from METLIFE.  I sold the shares in December.  I do not believe that I "received cash in lieu".  No cash basis is listed on my 1099-B.  I also do not have the date acquired listed.

ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

If you do not know the basis, then it is zero. Do the best you can with entering information. If you don't know the acquired date, enter at least if it is short term or long term.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies