Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dennykc

I'm over 59-1/2 and still working. If I withdraw $6500 from my traditional IRA in January, can I still make a tax deductible IRA contribution of $6500 that same tax year?

Assume: Contribution would be done after the 60 day loan repayment window.

Assume: I am otherwise allowed to may a $6500 deductible IRA contribution.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies

I'm over 59-1/2 and still working. If I withdraw $6500 from my traditional IRA in January, can I still make a tax deductible IRA contribution of $6500 that same tax year?

What exactly are you trying to accomplish by taking it out, and then putting it back in ??

Sounds like OP needs a temporary loan.

Yes, as long as you qualify to do so.  Are you covered by a retirement plan at work?

dennykc

A 401K retirement plan is available at work, but I no longer contribute.

For a 401(k) plan,

The individual is an active participant if the individual elects to defer compensation (make salary deferral contributions) to the plan.  If the individual is eligible to make salary deferral contributions, but declines to make such salary deferral contributions for a year (and no other contributions or forfeitures are allocated to such individual's account for the plan year ending with or within the individual's taxable year), the individual is not an active participant for that year.
dennykc

So, I am not an active participant in a 401K. Does this affect my ability to contribute to my IRA?

It just affects your ability to deduct those contributions. But that doesn't matter since you don't participate. But I have to ask, are you over age 70.5?

It does not matter if you contribute to the 401(k) or not if you employer contributed to it then you would still be a participant.    Box 13 on your W-2 will be checked if you have a 401(k).    That does not prevent you from contributing to a Traditional IRA, it only affects your ability to deduct it if your income exceeds the limits given in this link to the IRS:  <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/IRA-Deduction-Limits">https://www.irs.gov/Retirement-Plans/IRA-...>

You must also have at least as much taxable compensation (money that you worked for) as your IRA contribution.
**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies