turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Social Security Spousal & Survivor Benefits

I am 69 years old and have decided to wait until 70 to start collecting social security. My wife just turned 62. If my wife starts collecting social securitt now on her work record will she still be entitled to her spousal benefit based on my work recrod when she reaches full retirement age.  Also, if my wife starts collecting now at age 62  will it also reduce her survivor benefit amount?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
drc845443
Employee Tax Expert

If your spouse starts collecting at 62, with the intention to switch to a spousal benefit at full retirement age - it is possible only if you are not yet receiving retirement benefits. If she is collecting benefits and you are also collecting benefits, she loses the choice to wait and switch.

Your spouse can start collecting social security now on her work record at age 62, and then switch to survivor benefit at full retirement age.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Once my wife  starts receiving benefits at 62 will her benefits continue to be reduced if she decides to switch to a spousal benefit at full retirement age? Also, will her benefits be reduced if dhe is entitled to the survivor benefit?

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies