turbotax icon
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Social security and 401k drawings

hello - if i retire and move out of the USA to a different country and i start collecting social security and 401k, will this affect how taxes will be calculated? How about if i decide to get part time job in that country?

1 Reply
Employee Tax Expert

Social security and 401k drawings

Thank you for your question.   So as a US citizen, you must pay U.S. taxes on foreign income and income such as a 401k, and potentially Social Security (See Note).  If you have a part-time job in a foreign country that income could be subject to income tax in that country as well, though the Foreign Earned Income Exclusion may apply (See: https://www.irs.gov/individuals/international-taxpayers/foreign-earned-income-exclusion)  or the Foreign Tax Credit as well.  You may also need to file a tax return in the foreign country depending upon the level of the part-time earnings.  


So there are a good deal of facts that would play into this.  


Note:  You must pay taxes on up to 85% of your Social Security benefits if you file a: Federal tax return as an “individual” and your “combined income” exceeds $25,000. Joint return, and you and your spouse have “combined income” of more than $32,000

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
message box icon

Ready to start your taxes?

Hand off your taxes, get expert help, or do it yourself.

See Pricing
Manage cookies