turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

fly25

I contributed $6,500 too much to my Roth in 2016 for tax year 2016. I submitted a form to brokerage firm. How do I claim this on my 2016 taxes?

How do I report my $6,500 over contribution to my Roth in 2016? I submitted a withdrawal form to brokerage firm 3/6/2017 before tax deadline.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

I contributed $6,500 too much to my Roth in 2016 for tax year 2016. I submitted a form to brokerage firm. How do I claim this on my 2016 taxes?

Since your excess contribution is being corrected, you will not report the excess contribution at all. Only uncorrected excess contributions are subject to the excise penalty. If and when you enter the Roth contribution within the program, you will be instructed to take out the money and remove the entry from Roth contributions.

Now, you need to wait on the custodian to calculate the earnings attributable to this excess contribution, as you will be withdrawing $6500 plus earnings. You need to pay tax on these earnings in 2016, although you won't get the 1099-R for this until next year. Although the 1099-R comes in 2018, the taxable event is in 2016. You should account for your earnings now by inputting a "mock" tax form now:

• Go to Federal Taxes-Wages and Income-Retirement Plans and Social Security (1099-R)
  • If you have the money in a popular brokerage company, you can probably get their EIN and payer address online rather easily.
  • Box 1- the total amount that came out ($6500 plus earnings)
  • Box 2a- the taxable earnings
  • Enter Code J in Box 7 (and Code 8 in Box 7 if under 59 1/2)
  • Don't check the IRA box

You will type a brief statement explaining your excess contribution and how the earnings got calculated.

Next year, you'll get a 1099-R with Code P on it. Code P will mean taxable in 2016. And you will already have accounted for that on your 2016 return.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Since your excess contribution is being corrected, you will not report the excess contribution at all. Only uncorrected excess contributions are subject to the excise penalty. If and when you enter the Roth contribution within the program, you will be instructed to take out the money and remove the entry from Roth contributions.

Now, you need to wait on the custodian to calculate the earnings attributable to this excess contribution, as you will be withdrawing $6500 plus earnings. You need to pay tax on these earnings in 2016, although you won't get the 1099-R for this until next year. Although the 1099-R comes in 2018, the taxable event is in 2016. You should account for your earnings now by inputting a "mock" tax form now:

• Go to Federal Taxes-Wages and Income-Retirement Plans and Social Security (1099-R)
  • If you have the money in a popular brokerage company, you can probably get their EIN and payer address online rather easily.
  • Box 1- the total amount that came out ($6500 plus earnings)
  • Box 2a- the taxable earnings
  • Enter Code J in Box 7 (and Code 8 in Box 7 if under 59 1/2)
  • Don't check the IRA box

You will type a brief statement explaining your excess contribution and how the earnings got calculated.

Next year, you'll get a 1099-R with Code P on it. Code P will mean taxable in 2016. And you will already have accounted for that on your 2016 return.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies