turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

davidbelc

Should ROTH IRA Computation Limit Worksheet block 7 wages and other income be the same as Schedule C Block 31?

I have earned income of: $6,941 (on Schedule C)

The ROTH IRA Computation Limit Worksheet shows my Earned Income as: $4,450 (Block 7)

For a difference of: $491.

When entering my 2016 Roth IRA Contributions ($2256 for me and $4,686 for my wife) Turbo Tax reports an overpayment because it is working on the ROTH IRA Computation Limit Worksheet instead of the $6,941 from Schedule C.

Why isn't the $6,450  from IRA Worksheet using the same $6,941 as Schedule C?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Should ROTH IRA Computation Limit Worksheet block 7 wages and other income be the same as Schedule C Block 31?

Your earned income for Roth contribution purposes also takes into account 1/2 of your self-employment tax.

Net income from Schedule C= $6941

Less 1/2 of SE tax=                  (490)   =     {($6941 *.9235) *.153}/2

The result in Turbo Tax seems correct.

Self-employment income.   If you are self-employed (a sole proprietor or a partner), compensation is the net earnings from your trade or business (provided your personal services are a material income-producing factor) reduced by the total of:

• The deduction for contributions made on your behalf to retirement plans, and

• The deduction allowed for the deductible part of your self-employment taxes.

View solution in original post

3 Replies
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Your earned income for Roth contribution purposes also takes into account 1/2 of your self-employment tax.

Net income from Schedule C= $6941

Less 1/2 of SE tax=                  (490)   =     {($6941 *.9235) *.153}/2

The result in Turbo Tax seems correct.

Self-employment income.   If you are self-employed (a sole proprietor or a partner), compensation is the net earnings from your trade or business (provided your personal services are a material income-producing factor) reduced by the total of:

• The deduction for contributions made on your behalf to retirement plans, and

• The deduction allowed for the deductible part of your self-employment taxes.

davidbelc

Thanks for the rapid response....
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

You're welcome!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies