`

Should I wait to file my 2018 federal tax return until I'm sure the IRS has received notice from my financial institution of my prior year IRA contribution?

On February 20, 2019, I made a prior year (2018) contribution to my traditional IRA. I have recorded this contribution in TurboTax. Should I wait to file my 2018 federal tax return until I believe the IRS has received notice from my financial institution of my IRA contribution? Fidelity suggested I wait 30 days for the IRS to receive a notice from them on my IRA contribution, then file my tax return. However, I prefer not to wait to file my tax return.

You can file now, however, it could possibly delay your return processing if the IRS tries to verify, but there is nothing that states you MUST wait.  It is just a suggestion to make things move more smoothly once you do submit.