turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I show the distribution of $6000 in 2016 tax return if we already paid taxes on it in 2015?

In 2015 Grantor trust (6 grantors) received distribution $7000 and Schedule K-1 from another complex trust where the 6 grantor's are beneficiaries. The Grantor trust filed 2015 tax return showed the distribution of $7000 in Grantors letters ($1,166 to each grantor).But the actual distribution was made in 2016 and only $1000 to each grantor.
Should we show the distribution of $6000 in 2016 tax return if we already paid taxes on it in 2015 ?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Should I show the distribution of $6000 in 2016 tax return if we already paid taxes on it in 2015?

" Should we show the distribution of $6000 in 2016 tax return if we already paid taxes on it in 2015 ?"

No, since the $6,000 of taxable income was apparently "earned" in 2015 and is taxable to the grantors (i.e., owners of the trust who are entitled to that income) in that year. It is irrelevant that the funds were not withdrawn until the following year.

View solution in original post

3 Replies

" Should we show the distribution of $6000 in 2016 tax return if we already paid taxes on it in 2015 ?"

No, since the $6,000 of taxable income was apparently "earned" in 2015 and is taxable to the grantors (i.e., owners of the trust who are entitled to that income) in that year. It is irrelevant that the funds were not withdrawn until the following year.

Thanks a lot! I thought so.. but wanted to be sure. Thx!!

You are quite welcome.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies