Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I re-code form 1099-r box 7 to 2 instead of 1 since I have a SEPP and I'm getting charged a 10% penalty incorrectly?

I retired after turning 55 in 2015 but I'm under 59 1/2, but understood that with rule 72(t) I could set up a SEPP  and not incur the 10% penalty

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

Should I re-code form 1099-r box 7 to 2 instead of 1 since I have a SEPP and I'm getting charged a 10% penalty incorrectly?

There is no need for a corrected Form 1099-R.  In the follow-up after clicking the Continue button on the Your 1099-R Entries page, enter the amount of these distributions into the Equal Periodic Payments box and TurboTax will report them on Form 5329 as qualifying for the SEPP exception to the early distribution penalty.

View solution in original post

2 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

There is no need for a corrected Form 1099-R.  In the follow-up after clicking the Continue button on the Your 1099-R Entries page, enter the amount of these distributions into the Equal Periodic Payments box and TurboTax will report them on Form 5329 as qualifying for the SEPP exception to the early distribution penalty.

Thanks dmertz!
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies