Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Should I put the full amount of medical expenses withdrawn from 401k? Page asking to list "Medical Expenses (in excess of 75% agi)" But I don't know ago until I finish TT

I entered 1098-R info for hardship withdrawal. TT is asking to list the amounts of the withdrawal for medical expenses, death etc to figure the tax on it. But do I put the full amount or am I suppose to figure out how much of that amount is 7.5% above my AGI? PS this is not covid related at all.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Should I put the full amount of medical expenses withdrawn from 401k? Page asking to list "Medical Expenses (in excess of 75% agi)" But I don't know ago until I finish TT

First you must enter ALL of your 2020 income to get your 2020 AGI.  Then calculate 7.5% of the AGI.  Take that number and subtract it from your total medical expense - the result is the amount to enter.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

But doesn't AGI change according to everything, including all credits and deductions? So wouldn't I have to go through the entire 1040 and get to the end to find my AGI? Do I leave this blank and then go back?

@elsherif1350 wrote:

But doesn't AGI change according to everything, including all credits and deductions? So wouldn't I have to go through the entire 1040 and get to the end to find my AGI? Do I leave this blank and then go back?

Yes it does which is why I said to enter everything else first.  Do that last or you might have to do it again.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

Itemized deductions do not change your AGI.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies