turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

boonstrap

Should I not take my rmd for 2020

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

5 Replies
dmertz
Level 15

RMDs for 2020 have been waived.  Whether or not you take a distribution in 2020 is your choice.

Noel6
Returning Member

Can I repay any RMD already taken in 2020

dmertz
Level 15

I assume that this is not a distribution from an inherited IRA since a non-spouse beneficiary is not permitted to put the distribution back.

If the distribution qualifies as a Coronavirus-Related Distribution, you have 3 years from the day you receive the distribution to repay the distribution to eliminate the taxes otherwise due on the portion repaid.  If the distribution does not qualify as a CRD and the distribution was made on February 1, 2020 or later, you have until July 15, 2020 or the 60th day following the day you receive the distribution, whichever is later, to roll the distribution over, subject to the one-rollover-per-12-months rule.

the problem with the three year rule is you can't get the tax back to put back into the IRA until you put the tax back and file for a refund to get the tax back.

Classic Catch-22.

dmertz
Level 15

Tax withholding can be declined, and, if the expected Form 8915-E works the same as Form 8915-B, the first two 1/3 portions are repaid before the filing deadline for the tax return on which each of those portions must otherwise be included as income and the last 1/3 is repaid by the end of the 3-year repayment period, no tax will ever need to be paid on the distribution in the first place.  For example, if one takes a $30,000 Coronavirus-Related Distribution on July 1, 2020 and elects on 2020 Form 8915-E to have the income included equally over 3 years, then repays $10,000 by April 15, 2021, $10,000 by April 15, 2022, and the last $10,000 by July 1, 2023, no tax will ever need to be paid on the distribution.  (The April 15 dates can be extended to October 15 by requesting filing extensions for those years and filing after making the corresponding repayment.)

Note, however, that the expected Form 8915-E has not yet been created by the IRS, but since the statute for CRDs mirrors that of the statute for Qualified 2017 Disaster Distributions, it's reasonable to think that the tax treatment of repayments will be the same.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies