turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

me2014-4

Should a treasury benefit payment offset, garnishment and/or tax levy on my SSA-1099-go on fed or state returns? Pat

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Should a treasury benefit payment offset, garnishment and/or tax levy on my SSA-1099-go on fed or state returns? Pat

Please see this answer from KerriP.

No a garnishment is not the same as tax withheld.  Tax withheld is in box 6 and is for current years Federal Income  taxes with held for 2017 tax liability

A description of an amount in Box 3 includes a garnishment or Levy

A garnishment or levy is for overdue federal taxes, or other specific over due debts.

Per the Social Security Administration:Treasury benefit payment offset, garnishment, and/or tax levy – If we show an amount in this legend, either the Treasury Department applied that amount to a debt or debts owed to other Federal agencies; benefits were withheld to pay child support, alimony, or court ordered victim restitution; and/or benefits were withheld to pay debts to the IRS . Direct inquiries about what type of offset is involved to SSA at 1-800-772-1213. Direct questions related to federal taxes to the IRS at 1-800-829-7650.  

Or see this website. SSA-1099 Garnishment.

Returning Member

The question is due to the fact that you did not receive the full amount of your SSA Benefits.

How can you offset your Income to reflex the difference? 

Returning Member

The link you provided (=> SSA-1099 Garnishment) gives an error.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

This page will work Garnishment - FAQ Home - Social Security

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies