turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Several years ago, I received several 1099-Cs for cancelled debt. I have repaid some of those debts this year. Will I receive updated 1099-Cs to reflect that this year?

Meaning, will the amount paid be deducted for my 2021 taxable income, or would I have to file an amended return for the previous year?  Or, will nothing happen?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

Several years ago, I received several 1099-Cs for cancelled debt. I have repaid some of those debts this year. Will I receive updated 1099-Cs to reflect that this year?

A creditor cannot continue to collect after it issues a 1099-C. When it issues a 1099-C, it's stating that it considers the debt canceled or forgiven. You no longer owe the debt, which is why the IRS may now consider it income.

You or the lender or both screwed up.

The lender CAN NOT continue collections after issuing a 1099-C.  A 1099-C is an affirmation by the lender that the debt is uncollectible and it became taxable income to you at that point.  They can't continue collections.

If they continued collections, they are violating IRS regulations.   If you reported the 1099-Cs as income in 2018 or 2019, you could try filing amended returns to remove those income statements.  When the IRS asks for an explanation, you show them proof that you paid the debt and proof that the lender continued collections efforts in violation of the regulations.  You might get a tax refund.  If this happened in 2017 or earlier, it is too late to file an amended return for a refund.  You can try calling the taxpayer advocate service.

https://www.taxpayeradvocate.irs.gov

If the lender did not make collections efforts, I think you sent them free money and there is no way to adjust your tax returns.  You may want to consult a tax professional who is an enrolled agent (specially license to practice before the IRS). 

M-MTax
Level 10

The lender who sent you the 1099-C shouldn't have tried to collect after that......it's illegal. I'll bet it was a 3rd party collection agency and you gave them a gift.......you can't deduct it from your income and can't file an amended return either.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies