turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Self directed IRA in real estate distribution in 2020

My husband took a distribution from his self directed IRA in 2020 and we received 1099R for $196K.  Note that this is real estate distribution, we do not received cash, only paper distribution.  The $196k distribution is based from real estate appraisal of the property.  While preparing our 2020 tax return, our income  shoot up to adjusted gross income $242K (because of this distribution).  I called the IRA trustee and I requested that instead of getting distribution for the 100% ($196K), I would like to roll over the half of distribution ($96K) to 2021.  We had passed the 60 day roll over time but they said they will issue me Form 5498 for the rollover but will not correct the 1099R I received.   They will send me a statement showing I rolled over the half ($96K) in 2021.  My question is,  how do I show this in my tax return? My 1099R shows $196K so TT is showing that as distribution, where do I show the rollover to reduce my distribution? Where do I enter the roll over in TT? Help! I am confused.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

After you enter(ed) the 1099-R, there is a page that asks "What Did You Do With The Money From [Retirement Plan]"? 

Be sure you indicate that you "did a combination of rolling over, converting, or cashing out the money." 

Answering these questions correctly will result in your distribution showing up as partially taxable and partially non-taxable.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

View solution in original post

2 Replies
DavidD66
Expert Alumni

After you enter(ed) the 1099-R, there is a page that asks "What Did You Do With The Money From [Retirement Plan]"? 

Be sure you indicate that you "did a combination of rolling over, converting, or cashing out the money." 

Answering these questions correctly will result in your distribution showing up as partially taxable and partially non-taxable.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Thank you very much!!!!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies