Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Massachusetts Taxable IRA distributions

@BruceR

Correct:  Massachusetts adopts the same principal as does the IRS that distributions from a deferred income IRA which contains both previously taxed principal ("basis") and accumulated untaxed income generated cause the basis to be withdrawn first so that only when the basis is exhausted do successive withdrawal recognize the untaxed income.

As to the Rollover IRA with the proceeds of the terminated §401(k) deferred income - please note that a §401(k) plan usually has two separate accounts, with one being your already taxed contributions and a second with employer-matched untaxed (as yet) contributions.  It is helpful to keep the two accounts separate so that accounting for what is and what is not subject to tax liability is simple, if not then you must maintain an accounting record to properly reflect the basis.  Assuming that you are only discussing your untaxed contributions to the §401K plan [NOTE: this applies at both Federal and Mass. level] , it would be best if you could segregate those untaxed principal contributions and their earnings. Otherwise you will have to and must continue to maintain an accounting that recognizes this separate basis of untaxed funds.

So see the attached PDF which presents a hypothetical Form 1099-R (since I ahve no idea what yours looks like), and then the Massachusetts relevant pages of interview and the Form 1 Schedule X.  Clearly, the easiest way to address this is to use Forms Mode when you use the Desktop Product instead of the online service. 

[comment: essentially none of the "superuser" volunteers here would think of using the online service!  Forms Mode is often critical and is found in the Desktop "CD Software"]  
To switch from online to desktop:
https://ttlc.intuit.com/questions/1901476-how-do-i-switch-from-turbotax-online-to-the-turbotax-softw...

Frankly, I never use online and am not sure that you can make the manual entries into Schedule X that are required in your particular and unusual circumstance.  

Your $20,000 distribution needs to be manually adjusted either in the interview in the screen shown, or else at the Schedule X level.

Actually, Massachusetts assumes that in the usual case, if you do a Roth Conversion from a deferred income acount of any type, MA assumes until you indicate otherwise that the Federal fully taxable portion is mirrored at the state level.  This is one very good reason to segregate the funds between taxed (basis) and untaxed.  So, going forward, assuming you make no attempt to do a segregation of funds [remembering that if an account has both basis and non-basis it is the basis that first moves out] you will annually have to make a manual adjustment, but again remembering that MASS follows the  convention of first funds out are basis.
If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE
USAR 64-67 AIS/ASA MOS 9301 - O3

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.
BruceR
Returning Member

@Scruffy_Curmudgeon
Thank you for your answer!
First and most important, please delete the "_2018_TTax_Hypo_Form_1040.tax2018" file that you attached to your answer.  It looks like it contains someone's personal information.

REPLY- Actually it is a pastiche of various pieces built over time to respond to questions - not any one real person or persons.
BruceR
Returning Member

@Scruffy_Curmudgeon
I don't understand why you say that the IRS treats the basis to be withdrawn first.  My understanding is that I use Form 8606 and it taxes distributions using a pro-rated formula.  This link explains it: <a rel="nofollow" target="_blank" href="https://www.investopedia.com/articles/pf/12/roth-ira.asp">https://www.investopedia.com/articles/pf/1...>
I've never seen any reference or info saying that "Federal convention of first funds out are basis".

My RO-IRA came from a 401K that is 100% untaxed, so it's basis is $0.
My Trad-IRA does have a basis.

I can't review your hypothetical example because I don't see a PDF attached.

I do use the desktop software, and regularly use forms view to review everything, so I totally agree with you on this part.

At this point, I believe I understand how to complete MA Schedule X.

Thanks again!

I gather that PRIOR to 1988, this rule was also true for SEP-IRA contributions.  But, 1/1/1988 and later, all SEP-IRA contributions should NOT have been taxed by MA, so if you are sure there were no contributions from earlier than that (because your SEP is not that old, even if you are)... there is no reason to pull your hair out trying to find old contributions when you roll-over or otherwise distribute from the SEP.  Yes?

cpatmcc
Returning Member

Hello,

I am completing the state portion of my return (MA) and I need help filling out this question, and the three additional fields:

"Enter the portion, if any, of distributions from IRA/Keogh plans, qualified charitable IRA and Roth IRA conversion distributions for Collin that were previously taxed by Massachusetts and the total amount of distributions received in previous years. Also, verify any qualified charitable IRA distributions in 2019 included in the total."

1. Total IRA/Keogh, qualified charitable IRA and Roth IRA conversion distributions during 2019:
  -I know the answer to this question, no help needed.

2. Total contributions previously taxed by MA:  
  -What total contributions? For 2019? Total contributions to a Roth, since the beginning of owning a Roth? Total contributions to a Traditional IRA, since the beginning of owning a Traditional IRA? Total contributions to both, since the beginning of owning both? Please help me understand what year(s) it is asking? Please know, that all money I have every contributed to a Traditional and/or Roth has always been post-tax money. 

3. Total distributions received in previous years:
  -There was only one year (2016) in which I contributed excess money to my Roth when I wasn't allowed to (by accident). I removed those excess funds in 2018. Should this be the only "distribution received in previous years?" Other than that amount, I have never removed funds. Please advise. It is confusing me because it says "distributions received." Every year, I get a 1099-R from my IRA stating the distributions. I do a Backdoor Roth conversion, so these distributions are simply money moving from my Traditional to Roth. I'm just not sure what "distributions received" means. I don't actually receive those funds, they are converted. 

Please advise.
Thank you,
Collin 
JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Massachusetts is a special case.  Massachusetts does not follow federal guidelines and does not give you a deduction when you contribute to a traditional IRA.  The questions here are to establish that you have money that was already taxed.  To answer your question directly.  It is aaaaall of the Traditional IRA contributions that you made.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
avosikas
Returning Member

I started taking RMDs from an inherited IRA the year following my fathers death in 2018 (he was the original depositor).  This is the first year I'm being asked for this information.  How does MA consider the basis in this situation?

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The basis would be your father's basis, or the amount of money he contributed to the account.

avosikas
Returning Member

Ah, the impossible task...

I very much appreciated your explanation of the IRA contribution/distribution puzzle for MA/TurboTax users. One wonders why TurboTax doesn't provide there own explanation.

I've also wrestled as have others with TT changing the process for importing Fidelity data. They seem to have gained access to your login for Fidelity but require some manipulation should you and your wife say have separate IRAs, and therefore separate Fidelity logins.

Thanks again for your help.

ANSWER in Response to MA having an RMD with respect to retirement funds:

Massachusetts does not have a Required Minimum Distribution but if you are subject to Federal Tax rules that require you to take an RMD, that distribution amount is reported on Form 1099-R to both the IRS and MA DOR so while not required by MA it does become part of the year's reported income.

If this posted response is useful to you, please click on the upraised hand in the lower left of this post. Thank you. Scruffy Curmudgeon--PFFM/ IAFF, retired FireFighter/Paramedic - Locals 718/30, Veteran USAR O3 AIS/ASA '65-'67

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE

- Just donating my time
**Say Thanks by clicking the thumb icon in the lower left corner -it means nothing but makes those than answer feel wanted.

ANSWER in Response to MA and QCD (Qualified Charitable Distribution from an IRA):

Massachusetts accepts the coding in Box 7 of Form 1099-R as reported to the IRS and does not include the QCD amount as income.

In 2006, Massachusetts "Adopted" the provisions of Pension Protection Act of 2006, Public Law 109-280  and follows the provisions of the Federal Act in excluding a QCD.

https://www.mass.gov/technical-information-release/tir-06-20-the-pension-protection-act-of-2006-char...
Note that the QCD even though given as a charitable donation cannot be included on your Federal Taxes as a charitable donation (you would be double counting it if you did)

NOT INTUIT EMPLOYEE

- Just donating my time
csw43

If I have a $20,000 RMD for 2022, however, I had $5000 directed to a QCD.  Why then does the TurboTax Massachusetts page say I received the whole $20,000?  Am I paying Mass. tax on the whole RMD, rather than just the $15,000 I actually received?

JohnB5677
Expert Alumni

Massachusetts taxpayers can not currently (2022) claim a deduction for Qualifed Charitable Contributions; however, they will be able to claim a state income tax deduction for charitable donations made in taxable years beginning on or after January 1, 2023

In 2000, Massachusetts voters approved a state income tax deduction for qualifying charitable contributions.

@csw43 

Hello,

Appreciate all the helpful information in this thread! My husband and I are taking IRA distributions for the first time this tax year (2022). Some are from my traditional IRA, some from his traditional IRA, and some from his SEP IRA.  I understand our IRA contributions/distributions should be treated separately for the purpose of calculating  figures for Schedule X, line 2 worksheet. I'm not certain whether to combine my husband's Traditional and SEP-IRA contributions/distributions, or calculate them separately to reach the taxable amount. The Traditional IRA contributions were not deductible for Mass taxes, but I believe the SEP-IRA contributions were. Can you help me understand how to treat these contributions/distributions from the two different types of IRAs that belong to my husband? Thanks!

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies