turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Roth Contribution: I'm asked what MY Roth Contribution is. Do I include contributions by my employer as company match in the maximum total I can contribute? Thank you.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
TomK
Expert Alumni

Roth Contribution: I'm asked what MY Roth Contribution is. Do I include contributions by my employer as company match in the maximum total I can contribute? Thank you.

If you had a Roth retirement plan at work, contributions to it will be indicated on your W-2 in Box 12 with code:

• AA: Roth 401(k) plan.
  • BB: Roth 403(b) plan.
  • EE: Roth contributions under governmental section 457(b) plan. This amount does not apply to contributions under a tax-exempt organization section 457(b) plan.

The question within the program asking about YOUR Roth contributions is referring to/asking if you made any additional contributions outside of your employer-related contributions (e.g., at a bank, brokerage, etc.).

View solution in original post

2 Replies
TomK
Expert Alumni

If you had a Roth retirement plan at work, contributions to it will be indicated on your W-2 in Box 12 with code:

• AA: Roth 401(k) plan.
  • BB: Roth 403(b) plan.
  • EE: Roth contributions under governmental section 457(b) plan. This amount does not apply to contributions under a tax-exempt organization section 457(b) plan.

The question within the program asking about YOUR Roth contributions is referring to/asking if you made any additional contributions outside of your employer-related contributions (e.g., at a bank, brokerage, etc.).

dmertz
Level 15

The questions that TurboTax is asking about Roth contributions is about contributions to a Roth *IRA*.  Your Roth contributions are to a Roth account in an employer plan, not to a Roth IRA; your employer's plan is not an IRA.  Enter amounts shown in box 11 of your W-2 only on TurboTax's W-2 form.

Employer contributions to the plan are not reported anywhere on your tax return.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies