Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

RMD - Is this an IRA Distribution (line 4a/4b) or Pension/Annuity (lines 5a/5b)?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

8 Replies

RMD - Is this an IRA Distribution (line 4a/4b) or Pension/Annuity (lines 5a/5b)?

A TSP Is the same as a 401k, so the distribution adds into lines 5a,5b.  

Yes, if over age 72, you do have to make sure you get the RMD from it every year, but that must be calculated separately.  Usually the Administrator of the account can tell you each year what that RMD amount will be....but I don't know what help the TSP program provides for determining that amount each year.

...or...did you roll or transfer your TSP account into an IRA account?  that's a different situation, and then it's no longer a TSP.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

What qualifies for entry into the IRA Distribution lines 4a & 4b?  Where can I get more data.  I've tried GOGGLE.com & tax forums but there's so dog gone confusing.

I need to show a reduction in AGI via deducting IRA Distributions to qualify for the STAR program of which I thought RMD via Form 1099-R qualified.

There are various things called STAR programs all across the US....so I have only a guess as to exactly which one you are talking about.

Guessing....NY?  Then that info is here:

STAR resource center (ny.gov)

and for those over 65

STAR exemption program (ny.gov)

________

IF NY..Perhaps someone else here knows something about what you are asking about:

@maglib   @rjs   @Opus 17 

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

make the 1099-R in turbotax show the same checkmark - yes or no - as on your 1099-R document in your hand.

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

If the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box on the 1099-R is checked, it goes into IRA distributions on line 4. If the box is not checked, it goes in pensions on line 5. You cannot choose which line it goes on.

maglib
Level 11

When I apply my mother for the STAR program I just bring her taxes, they do the adjustments from the Federal Return.

In accordance with S 612(C)(3)(i) of the tax law when a tax exempt governmental pension is rolled over in a tax-free transaction into an IRA, any distributions 
 from the rollover IRA will be tax exempt to the extent that they are attributable to the tax exempts amount rolled over into the IRA.  

During the Fed interview the only change would be QCD distribution to Fed taxes.

Also if there is any portion of the IRA that was sourced from a government pension plan, there are interview questions during the Federal interview that you must respond to. Then during NYS interview, you must calculate the portion of the cost basis on the IRA distribution that is government pension so it does not tax you in NYS. Do note that NYS did audit this for multiple years and you must prove the cost basis vs. the income utilizing a consistent process.

**I don't work for TT. Just trying to help. All the best.
***Say "Thanks" by marking as BEST ANSWER and clicking the thumb icon in a post and that I solved your question
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
I am NOT an expert and you should confirm with a tax expert.
QUQU
Returning Member

How about if you have non deductibles in that tsp RMD. How is that computed.

AmyC
Expert Alumni

When you have an RMD with a basis, you will have  one amount showing in the distribution box and the taxable amount will reflect your deductible basis. Your form should reflect the calculations when you receive it. Your basis and other items will be in box 5.

Reference: About Form 1099-R, Distributions From Pensions ...

@QUQU 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies