Sign Up

Why sign in to the Community?

  • Submit a question
  • Check your notifications
or and start working on your taxes
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
New Member

Revising a tax return

I completed my Federal and California state tax returns but have not filed them. I chose to mail my 

returns.  I have not mailed my returns yet. Now I need to change those returns because I put my RMD for my IRA in Section 4a of Form 1040-SR instead of under Additional Income Line 8 of Schedule 1.

Can I now change my returns to correct this error or do I need to file and make an amendment.

2 Replies
Level 15

Revising a tax return

Your tax return is already correct; an IRA RMD belongs on Form 1040 line 4a where you already have it.


Why do you think that your RMD should be on Schedule 1?


Does your tax return include a Form 8606 where the taxable amount is being improperly calculated because you did not provide all of the information for Form 8606 to be completed properly?  If so, because you have not yet filed your tax return you can change it.  Amending is done only if you have already filed.

New Member

Revising a tax return

The reason I thought I incorrectly inputted my RMD was because on Schedule 1 Part 1 line 8 RMD showed up there. Somehow I must have put 1 on that line for some reason. Anyway thanks for the clarification. I have now mailed my two returns with the RMD under IRA distributions. Thank you for your guidance.

I did not save my returns on my computer and now I have been unable to view them electronically - fortunately I made hard copies of them.

Dynamic AdsDynamic Ads
Privacy Settings