Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reversed a RMD due to Cares Act but still showing it as taxable

After withdrawing my 2020 RMD the CARES Act allowed me to roll it back into the same account with no tax consequences.  TT confirmed "you won't have to pay tax on your $10,000 rollover....." yet the Form 1040 is showing the $10,000 as income and taxable!  How can I get this corrected?  Many thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Please be sure you indicate that the withdrawal was "rolled over"  to the same account.

1. A few screens after the 1099-R input screen, you should see a screen asking if you rolled over all of the distribution to another retirement account.
  2. Mark the radio button that you rolled over $XX to an IRA or other retirement account (or returned it to the same account).
  3. If you are using the desktop version of TurboTax, the screen will say What did you do with the money from this payer?  Mark the button that you moved the money to another retirement account.
  4. Below the grey line, click the radio button next to rolled over all of this money.

The amount of the original withdrawal will show on your 1040, line5a., as a distribution, but line 5b will show 0 as the taxable amount, with ROLLOVER noted.  See screenshot below:

Thanks so much Irene.  Someone else on the forum suggested not to indicate the distribution as a RMD.  I tried that and it worked...the TT entry then showed as you displayed and thus not taxable income.  Thanks again.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies