turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Markjc

Retirement contributions that are entered in the W2 section, are they also added again in the retirement section? Or is this double counting?

That information is denoted in the wages section and is pulled from box 12, letter codes D and AA. However, when  you move to the credits and deductions section, is again asks if you have made contributions to your 401k. I have but if I enter this detail, am I double counting? this isn't very clear.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
ChristinaS
Expert Alumni

Retirement contributions that are entered in the W2 section, are they also added again in the retirement section? Or is this double counting?

You only input IRA contributions under Deductions and Credits. The retirement plan contributions on your W2 are not IRA contributions. So, entering under IRA contributions would not be double -counting... it would simply be incorrect.

If you contributed to an IRA, you would not have done so through your employer (except in rare cases). Your W2 may have a 401(k), 403(b), 414(h) or similar contribution. These are accounted for simply by typing in your W2.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies