Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Arrunk
Returning Member

Retirement and SS Questions

I am single and live in California. My taxable SS income from my 2020 return is $14,807.00.  How much tax do I need to have withheld on that amount? 

Also, My Retirement income is $35,748.00.  I need to know how much of that to have withheld, too.

Currently, no taxes are being withheld from either.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Reply
mfields2
Employee Tax Expert

Retirement and SS Questions

The best way to determine how much you might owe in taxes is to use an online tax estimation tool.  Turbotax provides a free "TaxCastor" tax estimator that you can use:  https://turbotax.intuit.com/tax-tools/calculators/taxcaster/

Most online tools are either very simple to use (and not as accurate), or rather complex (and not easy to use). A good example is https://smartasset.com/taxes/california-tax-calculator - it is very easy to use, but will not give you very accurate results.  In particular, your Social Security income is not taxable in California, so the state tax calculator to estimate state taxes would have to remove those amounts to be accurate (while keeping them in for the federal tax calculation).  In addition, items like the California renter's credit are not considered in the calculation.  However, it is "easy" to use and can be a great starting point and will generally over-estimate your total tax bill, so it can be helpful.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies