Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Retired insurance agent nonemployee compensation. where do I report this? This amount is shown in box #3

x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ToddL

Retired insurance agent nonemployee compensation. where do I report this? This amount is shown in box #3

Report this 1099-MISC in the Income from 1099-MISC interview, found under Federal Taxes > Wages and Income > Other Common Income.

Since you are retired, the income is not related to your "main job". 

Since these are (likely) residual commissions, you aren't providing any current services or engaged in any profit-seeking activities.

You probably can't say, with certainty, if you will receive these in future years.

Answering the 1099-MISC interviews with the above in mind will result in the 1099-MISC getting reported on Line 21 of your Form 1040 (Other Income)

so when a retired insurance agent still receives commissions, is that considered a passive activity?

MayaD
Expert Alumni

No. Commission is considered earned Income. 

For more information check MinhT1 response.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies