turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Required Minimum Distribution?

Hello, I'm new here. Trying to file my mom's taxes and stumbled upon a new question I'm not used to seeing. My mom receives social security benefits along with a pension that she inherited from my dad upon his death in 2015. TurboTax is now asking me if the income she received in 2018 and 2019 from the pension meets the Required Minimum Distribution (RMD). I called the fund that distributes the payments and they had no idea what that was and were just giving me random statements that led to no true answer (yes or no). They simply stated that because she inherited the fund, she's only entitled to 50% of the total fund, and the monthly payment she receives will continue till for the remainder of her life. Is there anything on the 1099-R form that can shed some light to this? 

Box 7 has a distribution code of 4 which is due to my dad's passing and the IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box is not checked so my understanding is that this fund is not from a traditional IRA, SEP, or SIMPLE distribution - does that exclude us from an RMD? 

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Just say it is all a RMD.

Virtually all pension plans, defined contribution plans, and annuities in existence today fall under section 401 of the tax code.

Required minimum distributions for defined benefit plans and annuity contracts all require RMD's after age 70 1/2.  If you receive periodic (monthly) payments from any pension plan you can be assured that the custodian of the plan is meeting the requirements so you can safely answer "yes" to the question.

The answer to the question does not go on your tax return, it is simply to make sure you do not owe any penalty for not taking the RMD or use it for an ineligible rollover.

The question is just to be sure that the requirement was met.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302117

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

View solution in original post

5 Replies

Just say it is all a RMD.

Virtually all pension plans, defined contribution plans, and annuities in existence today fall under section 401 of the tax code.

Required minimum distributions for defined benefit plans and annuity contracts all require RMD's after age 70 1/2.  If you receive periodic (monthly) payments from any pension plan you can be assured that the custodian of the plan is meeting the requirements so you can safely answer "yes" to the question.

The answer to the question does not go on your tax return, it is simply to make sure you do not owe any penalty for not taking the RMD or use it for an ineligible rollover.

The question is just to be sure that the requirement was met.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/replies/3302117

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**

Thank you! 

One more question if I may. For "Source of Distribution", the first option states "Military pension or survivor benefits". Does this present 2 military-specific options,  "Military Pension" or "Military survivor benefits" or when it references survivor benefits, it's referring to anything inherited and not necessarily military-related? I selected "None of the above" last year but was contemplating if it should have been option one since these are technically survivor benefits. Any clarification is appreciated.

DavidD66
Employee Tax Expert

If it is not military related then you would answer "None of the above".

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
John6684

In 2020 the MRD was waved, if the recipient chose not to take that years payment.  

My tax returns are all set to be electronically submitted, but because I have one retirement account with zero MRD, the transmission of my forms hangs waiting for an MRD value other than $0.00.

How can I submit my forms, or how can I enter something when the MRD was in fact zero.

@John6684 wrote:

In 2020 the MRD was waved, if the recipient chose not to take that years payment.  

My tax returns are all set to be electronically submitted, but because I have one retirement account with zero MRD, the transmission of my forms hangs waiting for an MRD value other than $0.00.

How can I submit my forms, or how can I enter something when the MRD was in fact zero.

If you did not have a distribution then delete the unnecessary 1099-R form.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/accessing/help/how-do-i-view-and-delete-forms-in-turbotax-online/0...

Manage cookies