Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Repayment of RMD Distribution - How to file?

I solved this problem and filed my taxes a couple of months ago, and I used perhaps similar methods, but the way I think about it is different from the way some on this thread think about it.  

While it is true that the requirement to distribute from one's IRA was waived for 2020, if you distributed from your IRA it is still a distribution whether you were required to take it or not.  So I consider it irrelevant to the discussion of how you handle it when you file.  The 1099-R shows the distribution; the 5498 shows the put-back.

On the Federal Taxes tax, Wages & Income Section ("Your 2020 Income Summary"), Retirement Plans and Social Security, IRA, 401(k), blah, blah blah, for the institution in question I put down the info from the 1099-R exactly as it was on the form.  On the page where it asked "Was this withdrawal an RMD for 2020?" I notice that neither the Yes or No blocks are checked when I go back to review my input.  Moving to the What Did You Do With the Money... section, I chose "...did a combination of rolling over, converting, or cashing out the money."  And then in the section below I entered the amount that I rolled over back to the same retirement account.  It all came out correctly without all the troubles that others have experienced.  I'll let you know later if they decide that I did something wrong.  

AmyC
Expert Alumni

Repayment of RMD Distribution - How to file?

@coljediv Sounds perfect, great job!

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies