turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Reduce 2018 AGI by returning all SSA benifits?

I’m less than $2000 over the AGI limit for repaying all my healthcare subsidy. I can’t reduce my 2018 income by making an IRA contribution because we are both retired with no earned income. I’ve been getting SSA payments for less than six months, and I am still in the time limit to return all the SSA payments received and cancel my application. If I do that, does that reduce my 2018 income? Surely it doesn’t get processed as a credit on my 2019 income…I figure there isn’t time to complete the process by April 15 so I would file for an extension and pay tax based on what I expect to owe after returning the SSA income. Can I do this? Does anyone know any thing else I can do this year to reduce last year’s income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
dmertz
Level 15

A repayment made in 2019 will not reduce the taxable amount of Social Security benefits on your 2018 tax return.  It will instead reduce the gross amount of your 2019 Social Security benefits, or if the repayment is more than the amount of your 2019 benefits by more than $3,000, you can use a claim of right on your 2019 tax return.

See Repayment of benefits in :https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p915.pdf

View solution in original post

3 Replies

Do you have Medicare?

Rats. I was afraid of that. A deduction in 2019 won’t help me. Thanks for responding.
dmertz
Level 15

A repayment made in 2019 will not reduce the taxable amount of Social Security benefits on your 2018 tax return.  It will instead reduce the gross amount of your 2019 Social Security benefits, or if the repayment is more than the amount of your 2019 benefits by more than $3,000, you can use a claim of right on your 2019 tax return.

See Repayment of benefits in :https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p915.pdf

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies