turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

civitas

Received a inherited annuity in cash as reflected on 1099-R. But Turbo Tax insists it's an inherited IRA and asks about RMDs. How to treat the annuity in Turbo Tax?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions

Received a inherited annuity in cash as reflected on 1099-R. But Turbo Tax insists it's an inherited IRA and asks about RMDs. How to treat the annuity in Turbo Tax?

OK, you will enter the 1099R exactly as received.

Due to inherited, which it is, you will answer, "yes" I took my RMD, (as you are collecting an annuity) and then answer, "Yes" all is RMD, and that is all you need to do.  

Inherited IRA's must-have certain amounts taken each year, and with the annuity, you are doing that. 

To enter pension and annuity Payments (1099-R)

• Click on Federal Taxes
  • Click on Wages and Income
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), click the start or update button

View solution in original post

3 Replies

What codes are in Box 7?  Is it inherited?
civitas

code 4 and inherited from deceased parent

OK, you will enter the 1099R exactly as received.

Due to inherited, which it is, you will answer, "yes" I took my RMD, (as you are collecting an annuity) and then answer, "Yes" all is RMD, and that is all you need to do.  

Inherited IRA's must-have certain amounts taken each year, and with the annuity, you are doing that. 

To enter pension and annuity Payments (1099-R)

• Click on Federal Taxes
  • Click on Wages and Income
  • Click on I'll choose what I work on (if shown)
  • Scroll down to Retirement Plans and Social Security
  • On IRA, 401(k), Pension Plan Withdrawals (1099-R), click the start or update button
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies