turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

dollya

Where do I show RMD?

where should I show RMD?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Where do I show RMD?

You should have received a Form 1099-R for your RMD. Enter it like any other 1099-R. As long as the amount of the distribution is at least the RMD amount, you don't have to do anything special. After you finish entering the 1099-R, continue through the TurboTax screens. You will come to a screen that asks you if the distribution was an RMD.

To enter a Form 1099-R in TurboTax Online, click the Search button at the top and enter "form 1099-r" (without the quotes) in the search box. Then click the link that says "Jump to form 1099-r."

Enter the information into TurboTax exactly as it appears on the 1099-R. If a box on the 1099-R is blank, leave it blank in TurboTax; don't enter zero. After you enter the 1099-R TurboTax will ask you a number of questions. Read the questions carefully and be sure to answer them accurately.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Where do I show RMD?

You should have received a Form 1099-R for your RMD. Enter it like any other 1099-R. As long as the amount of the distribution is at least the RMD amount, you don't have to do anything special. After you finish entering the 1099-R, continue through the TurboTax screens. You will come to a screen that asks you if the distribution was an RMD.

To enter a Form 1099-R in TurboTax Online, click the Search button at the top and enter "form 1099-r" (without the quotes) in the search box. Then click the link that says "Jump to form 1099-r."

Enter the information into TurboTax exactly as it appears on the 1099-R. If a box on the 1099-R is blank, leave it blank in TurboTax; don't enter zero. After you enter the 1099-R TurboTax will ask you a number of questions. Read the questions carefully and be sure to answer them accurately.

raneven

Where do I show RMD?

Turbo Tax never asks if it's an RMD - it does ask it is a periodic payment. Is that the same thing? I had fed tax withheld already.
gbiehl77

Where do I show RMD?

TurboTax 2018 DID ask me if the distribution from my 403(b) included an RMD. If yes, how much of it was RMD. The distribution was more than twice my RMD. Any problem with saying it's all RMD? That seems safer than trying to match exactly with the IRS's number for my 2018 RMD.
rjs
Level 15
Level 15

Where do I show RMD?

@gbiehl77  It depends on what you did with it. I think the reason it asks how much was an RMD is that you can't roll over an RMD. So if you rolled over any part of the distribution, you don't want to say that it was all an RMD.

The IRS doesn't have an amount for your RMD, so there's nothing to match. They just know that an RMD was required. The plan trustee should have told you how much your RMD was. You can use that number.

Where do I show RMD?

I did not receive a 1099-R for my RMD

Where do I show RMD?

@grannygeek wrote:

I did not receive a 1099-R for my RMD

Contact your retirement plan.  They should have sent you a Form 1099-R in late January or early February.  They also may have the 1099-R available on their website for your account.

Where do I show RMD?

If you opted in to "NO PAPER" you have to go online to get your 1099-R.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies