Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Is my military retirement pension taxable if I am a 100% disable veteran?

@CarolynCC137 Your pension distribution may be taxable if reported to you on a form 1099-R. You can enter that form in TurboTax to see if it affects your tax. You enter it in the Income and Expenses section of your federal tax return. Look for Retirement Plans and Social Security, then IRA, 401(k), Pension Plans (1099-R). Just complete that section by entering your form 1099-R information and answering the questions to see if your refund or tax due changes. 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
BigBub54

Did you ever find anything else out about this. I have asked and tried researching it myself to no avail. Although everyone I know has been approved for it.

I am starting my second year of military retirement and am 100% disabled as well- I've met vets that do not pay taxes on their retirement due to being 100% va disabled as per "page 18 of IRS PUB 525.  While the publication reads pretty easy, filling out the paperwork is something that I have yet to get help with- any thoughts?

Please note (link below) that page 18 of IRS Tax pub 525 is being *incorrectly* interpreted by some VA rated Disabled Vets to exempt fed taxes on one’s military pension (a pension based on number of years of service).  You have to read the pg18  wording carefully and note that it’s  disability compensation that is excluded from fed taxes and that only in cases of disability retirement/disability pensions  (not pensions based on number of years served ) do the provisions on page 18 apply. https://www.currentfederaltaxdevelopments.com/blog/2022/4/29/disabled-veteran-could-not-exclude-mili...

payments?format=amp

Also, just because one can convince DFAS to reduce their W-4 Fed tax withholdings based on one’s interpretation of Page 18 of IRS pub 525, it doesn’t mean that Military Pension Fed taxes aren’t still due to the IRS at the end of the tax year. The IRS (not DFAS) is the governing authority on taxable/non taxable income and their determinations on page 18 exceptions are stated on the link above.  One’s tax withholdings, if under represented at the end of the tax year , can incur penalties. I hope this helps. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies