turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

matts19

Will I be taxed when I retire and move ALL of my money overseas ?

Say, for simplicity, I have $2 million dollars upon retirement, all in cash.

And I want to move all of that money overseas (in one lump sum) and retire there.

Will there be any roadblocks to doing that from U.S. side ? Thanks.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies

If you have cash, there are no taxes involved in the act of transferring it from a US bank to an overseas bank.  

If you retain your US citizenship, you are required to report and pay US income tax on all your world-wide income, no matter where you live. This means that any investments you make with the money overseas, or any interest paid to you by banks, must be reported on a US tax return. Even though overseas banks and investment firms might not issue 1099-INT or 1099-B statements, you still are supposed to report the income and pay the tax.  If you are also taxed on the same credit in a foreign country, the US will give you a credit or deduction against that tax, but you still have to file.

Just the act of transferring your own money from one place to another is not taxable. 

rjs
Level 15
Level 15

The transfer of the money overseas is not taxed. However, once the money is in a foreign account you are required to file certain reports every year. If your foreign accounts have a total value of more than $10,000 you must file an FBAR. If your foreign accounts have a total value of more than $50,000 you must file a FATCA report. The penalties for not filing the required reports are severe. See the following pages on the IRS web site for some basic information to start familiarizing yourself with the reporting rules.

Report of Foreign Bank and Financial Accounts (FBAR)

FATCA Information for Individuals

Summary of FATCA Reporting for U.S. Taxpayers

If you will remain a US citizen, some advisors say to keep your investments in US stocks only.

keep your money in the US and keep a US bank account.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies