turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

sos5kids7

Why is my all of my gross distribution being added to my taxable income instead of my taxable amount from this distribution?

On form 1099R I have $8K on line 5A (Gross Distribution) from an annuity from a deceased parent. On line 5B I have $1200 (Taxable Amount). As I see it, my taxable income should only go up by $1200, not $8K. How do I get my taxable amount only to be added to my total taxable income?
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Why is my all of my gross distribution being added to my taxable income instead of my taxable amount from this distribution?

Line 5a is the total amount Line 5b is the taxable portion of Line 5a. Only $1,200 is being added to your income.

sos5kids7

I understand that is how it should be, however, in entering the amounts in the appropriate boxes, my total taxable income goes up by $8K instead of the $1200 that is supposed to be added. My brother in law said his worked out correctly when he entered the info in his HR Block tax software.

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Normally, the amount listed as taxable on your 1099-R entry is what is listed as taxable on your form 1040. You should first look on your form 1040 on line 4(b) or 5(b) to see what is being reported as taxable.

If the amount is wrong, revisit your 1099-R entry in TurboTax to insure that you entered the correct numbers in the appropriate boxes and answered the questions properly. 

You can view your form 1040 while working in the online version of TurboTax by following these steps:

While working on your return in the Federal section of TurboTax:

1.  Choose the Tax Tools icon on your left menu bar

2.  Tools

3.  View Tax Summary

4.  Choose the Preview my 1040 on your left menu bar

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies