Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why hasn't TurboTax imported my 2020 IRA-to-ROTH conversion data for my 2021 file?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

4 Replies

Why hasn't TurboTax imported my 2020 IRA-to-ROTH conversion data for my 2021 file?

1)   TTX doesn't automatically import the appropriate 1099-R, you have to initiate it.   TTX doesn't automatically import any tax forms.

2)  Many 1099-R providers (most/all?) do not provide importable 1099-R forms.  They have to be specially formatted to be imported into tax software.  That format is NOT the PDf file that you can get form yoru provider...it's entirely separate.

3)  Many 1099-R forms haven't even been generated by the issuing companies yet.  I have received 2, and am waiting for another to be sent later this month.   But none of mine can be imported into the software.  They all have to be entered manually even though two are from a major national provider......they just don't generate tax-importable 1099-R forms.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

Steam Train,

Thanks.  I wasn't referring to the 1099-R form itself.  Under the "wages and Income" tab, the amount shown under Wages & Income->Your 2021 Income Summary->Retirement Plans and Social Security, the amount from 2020 is correct.  When I click on "update", the only item that shows up is my last employer's pension/retirement account.  There should be two.  The 1099-R for my Traditional IRA isn't listed.  Not a big deal, but the employer's form info (name, address, federal ID) all display, i.e., I don't have to re-enter it.

Just puzzled.

TH

Not sure about that one.

I seem to recall that in certain situations, a 1099-R isn't transferred into the next year's forms.  

I think one situation is if a "Total Distribution"  box is checked in the prior year's 1099-R form ..... becasue the 1099-R isn't expected to be needed for that exact same issuer the next year.  But I can see that if the IRA was converted to ROTH IRA within the same company, that might not always be true.

Might be other situations too, that I haven't thought of.   I know that in the Desktop software, but only in "Forms Mode", a person can check a box on that year's 1099-R worksheet, and thus choose to not have the 1099-R form transfer into the next year.

Yep, you might have to retype in the information if an empty form didn't transfer into this year.

or...if you are using the Desktop software, make absolutely sure you transferred in the correct submitted/accepted file from 2020 taxes.....could have been you used a tax file from before you entered that paricualr 2020 1099R.   I know I have several separate files that I save separately as the tax season progresses, such that I don't have to start from scratch later if I make a major screwup along the way.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

A very belated thanks.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies