turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Why do the boxes on my 1099 -R form not match the turbotax form?

Box 12 on my 1099-R form shows "State tax withheld" and the TurboTax form shows "FATCA filing requirement box is checked"; Box 13 on my 1099-R form shows "State/Payer's state no." and Turbo Tax form shows "Date of payment"; Box 14 on my 1099-R form shows "State distribution" and the Turbo Tax form shows "State tax withheld"; Box 15 on my 1099-R form shows "Local tax withheld" and Turbo Tax shows "State and State number"; and Box 16 on my 1099-R form shows "Name of Locality" and Turbo Tax shows "State Distribution."
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

45 Replies
SamS1
Expert Alumni

It looks like you are looking at the 2019 1099R.   Box 12 on the 2019 form is State tax withheld, Box 13 is State Payers number, and Box 14 is State Distribution.  All the boxes on your form line up with the 2019 1099R form.  Check the year to make sure it is 2020.  If it is, I would say whoever provided you the form did not update their box fields for the new boxes on the 2020 form.

Image result for 2020 1099r

@cmacgar777 

if it is a 2020 1099-R form, please let us know who issued it....we might be able to help others navigate the issue.

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

We have the same problems with the boxes not matching up between the 1099R we received and the Turbo Tax form.  Our issue is with 1099R issued by Iowa Public Employees Retirement System, Des Moines, IA.  Thanks for your help on this!  

@thecamp3 

Bingo.....IPERS noticed, and issued a help page/mea culpa  (sort of):

https://www.ipers.org/1099

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*

1099R from the Louisiana State Employees Retirement System

Form 1099-R is slightly different in 2020 than it was in 2019. Some financial institutions are using the old format. To enter your 1099-R information correctly, read the box description on the form and enter your numbers into corresponding boxes in TurboTax.

ubartj

Why do the boxes on my 1099 -R missing 12 & 13  form not match the TurboTax Deluxe form?

@ubartj 

Your question is not clear

1) ....do you have boxes 12 & 13 with entries on them in your own Paper 1099-R form??? 

IF so...what are they labelled?   

OR

2)   do you have 14, & 15 on your paper 1099-R form for state withholding and the state?
OR

3)  Are you wondering about 12 and 13 on he accrual TTX forms.....?   IF so, then that depends on what form type you select.  TTX certainly has a 12 in most, but 13 depends on what it is being used for and what form you've selected in the software..

A properly-formatted standard/plain 2020 1099-R form does not normally use boxes 12 & 13, but now only 14, 15, and sometimes 16 for the state data entries.

A 2020 CSA- or CSF-1099-R form from OPM, still do use boxes 12 and 13 for state withholding and state identity entries.

SamS1
Expert Alumni

On your 1099R, you are looking at the boxes from the 2019 1099R form.  Some plan administrators did not update for the changes to the 2020 1099R and only changed the year on the 2019 form to 2020.  You can contact the plan administrator and ask for an update 2020 1099R form or follow this:

• Box 12 = Box 14 TurboTax
  • Box 13 = Box 15 TurboTax
  • Box 14 = Box 16 TurboTax
  • Box 15 = Box 17 TurboTax
  • Box 16 = Box 18 TurboTax
  • Box 17 = Box 19 TurboTax
dsinwv

The form with the different field numbers is coming from the Office of Personnel Management - Retirement Operations.  It is a 2020 form with State Tax Withheld as box 12, and State/State Payors state no. as box 13.

I previously entered the information for my return with no problem, but in doing it now for my mother-in-law, I get all kinds of errors.  Obviously the software update has inflicted this on me.

@dsinwv 

If it isn't working right for you, work your way out of that form and delete it.

Then restart a NEW form 1099-R, and Make Sure you select the correct form sub-type when you start up the new form.

IF your Mom has a CSA- or CSF-1099-R, you have to select that sub-type right near the start of the new form. IF chosen properly, that OPM form "will" have the proper box numbers (12,13,14)  presented to you.....or if it is just a plain 1099-R, then you need to make sure you select that one.

Other: 

1)  IF you are using the "Online" tax software, make sure you have an entirely separate account for her entries

..................DO NOT attempt to reuse your own Online account or you will irreversibly destroy your own file, and encounter all kinds of problems trying to enter hers.

2) if you are simply re-using an OPM form that transferred in from last year's tax file....there is a state entry "verification" page that shows up with the OPM boxes 12,13,14....moved into boxes 14,15,16.   If that is what is confusing you, then just verify that the numbers & values are correct, and ignore the box numbers....but only on that "verification" page.

BillPye
Returning Member

I also have this problem for my 2021 return. Bny Mellon  NY issued the 1099-r. 

KrisD15
Expert Alumni

FOR CLARIFICATION:

This is what the 1099-R should look like. 

Does your paper copy look different or the screen in TurboTax? 

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies