Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Ask the Experts All About the Refund! >> Event happening NOW!!!!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Where do you apply to get the two month extension to file taxes from the Texas Ice Storm that was declared a natural disaster in 2021?

When I got to the last screen, it never offered an extension and said that I have to pay my tax by 4/15 (it wouldn't even let me put in a date after 4/15).
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
ToddL99
Expert Alumni

Where do you apply to get the two month extension to file taxes from the Texas Ice Storm that was declared a natural disaster in 2021?

That extension to file and pay federal taxes is automatic - you don't have to apply for it.

That extension was granted after TurboTax released its 2020 tax software, and it is automatic for anyone living in Texas. This means you won't have to file forms requesting more time to file. 

If, however, you decide to file before June and don't want to pay any tax due until June 15. you'd have to select the "mail-in payment option" and "4/15/2021" as the payment date; the program won't be updated to show that Texas filers have an extra 2 months to pay.

See Extension and Tax Relief for Texas Winter Storm Victims for additional information.

Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks - I hope people find that helpful. I realize it happened late, but would have been nice if TT had released a quick message on the screen saying how you could wait to file until June 15.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies