turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

gerntz
Returning Member

When I try to enter 1099R it says IRS form not ready until 01/21/2020

Went to Forms in TT - CD version.  Next to 1099-R Form heading is: (Not Done).    Why doesn't TurboTax know that?

1st... I am experiencing the same issue as all the complaints here. I am using the Downloaded version of Turbotax Home & Business. Trying to follow your instructions above, None of the "entry points" you mention are present in my 2020 edition. However, I am able to navigate to the point you mention, "IRA, 401k, Pension Plans (1099R). Following the steps to enter the data from my 1099R I select the plan from the list, "EDIT" and I am presented with the same screen as the others here, "The Retirement Income Area Will Be Ready Soon". The reason reported is "...the IRS is still working on finishing up the Distributions from Pensions, IRSs, etc."

Assuming this is correct, have you heard anything about when it might be ready?

~Thank you~

Assuming you are speaking of retirement plan distributions -

You will report this on a Form 8915-E.  The IRS has not yet finalized the Form 8915-E for retirement plan distributions under the CARES act.  So this form cannot be included in the TurboTax program.  You will not be able to proceed until the form is available.

The IRS has not communicated when the form will be finalized for inclusion on the 2020 federal tax return.

We estimate it will be sometime in February 2021 before the form is available.  You can watch this link for the form availability.  Currently, the form is not listed here since there is no estimated date.  Once there is, you will find the form listed with the date available.  

IRS forms availability table for TurboTax individual (personal) tax products

Additionally, the IRS will not start processing returns until February 12, so waiting for this form is not slowing down the processing of your return.

I received an email from tech support about this problem.

Returned her email message with the ‘ IRS awaiting”. 

Somehow  my 1099-R form(s) were not entered/updated 

on my CD. You need to do manually by going into the icon = form,  in the top right hand corner of the screen in the wage and income section. You’ll see the 1099R form

not done. Tap and you’ll  input in the pink area and then save. This change will need to be updated following existing program.  Hopefully upon going into the program, the install updates will do the trick. Allow for more than the 8 minutes!

kevin

dhborden
Returning Member

I'm still waiting for this to get cleared up. We're past the initial deadline and closing on the updated deadline for federal filing, and I can't complete anything until TT gets this done. Any penalties are going to be on TT's head and I'm already looking for different products for next year, even if it means doing it on IRS-supplied forms!

@dhborden  This has been ready for some time now.  If you are using 2020 TT Desktop, be sure to run a program update.

dhborden
Returning Member

I run updates every day and still get the same message. Called TT last week and got a response that they're still waiting on the IRS. I even ran a "repair installation" for TT and still no change. So far, this year has been a dismal failure for me as a decades' long user of TT.

dhborden
Returning Member

Been there, done that. They escalated me and then said they're still waiting on the IRS. I need a better response than that.

oldsaltinstayton
Returning Member

I am having the same problem as all these others and federal filing is only 10 days away!  I have already uninstalled, reinstalled and updated several times.  I also have called the TT help desk and spent 3 hours trying to resolve this with no joy.  I even installed TT on my laptop and when I rebooted the laptop, the hard drive crashed in a so far unfixable fashion!  My next desperate step is to go to the local IRS office and take a number and wait all day if need be to ask an IRS employee what is going on.  Very, very unhappy with TT this year and I have been using it for decades!  :(

If you are using Windows do a manual update.

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/updating/help/what-is-a-manual-update/01/26074?search-action-id=16...

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dhborden
Returning Member

Their instructions to update didn't help at all. I was finally able to enter the data only by going directly to the form, skipping all the interview steps. Open your return, go to View -> Forms and then select Open Forms to begin a new 1099-R form. It should let you put in all your 1099-R data.

oldsaltinstayton
Returning Member

Okay.  Thanks for the advice about resolving the issue.  I opened the form and did not need to start a new form to enter my 1099-R data, however, I am a retired state correctional officer (i.e. Public Safety Officer).  In prior years TT has asked if any of the retirement income shown on my two 1099-R forms was income earned as a public safety officer and I have answered in the affirmative.  I am not sure how that has impacted on my prior returns, but I scrolled down through the form I opened in TT after I entered the 1099-R data and I noticed a section dealing with insurance premiums and eligible public safety officers.  Does anyone know if I am an "eligible" retired public safety officer, and if so I am wondering if I should subtract deductible health insurance premiums from my retirement distribution? 

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

Take a look at the following TurboTax article for the tax definition of public safety officer:

What does "Employed as a Public Safety Officer" mean?

@oldsaltinstayton

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
Sdexter

+I tried to type it in but it still said the same error.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies