Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bradyh26

What if my 1099-G doesn't have a Box 7, but Turbo Tax is showing I have one?

Turbo Tax is showing an amount for Box 7 of my 1099-G, but I don't have a Box 7 on my actual form.  It is showing that I have a Goverment payment for one of the following, and I shouldn't:  Agricultural program, Federal disaster or Market gain on CCC loans.  None of which apply to me.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies
AnnetteB6
Expert Alumni

The information that you entered is probably in the wrong place and it should be deleted so that you can start again.  

Go to the main Income & Expenses section of your return and scroll down to the Other 1099-G Income section.  Edit this section and delete any Form 1099-G that you see there by clicking Delete or the trash can icon.

Then, take a closer look at your form to determine if it is reporting the amount of your 2019 state tax refund, unemployment compensation, or something else.

If you received a state tax refund in 2020 for the 2019 tax year and you itemized deductions on your 2019 Federal return, then your state tax refund may be taxable.  You would need to enter the 2019 state refund amount into your 2020 Federal return.

State refunds are usually reported to you on Form 1099-G in Box 2.  Here is how you enter this information into your 2020 return:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “state and local tax refund” and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to state and local tax refund
  • Click on the blue “Jump to state and local tax refund” link 

If your 1099-G is reporting unemployment, then use these steps to enter it into your return:

• On the top row of the TurboTax online screen, click on Search (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax locate the search box in the upper right corner)
  • This opens a box where you can type in “unemployment” (be sure to enter exactly as shown here) and click the magnifying glass (or for CD/downloaded TurboTax, click Find)
  • The search results will give you an option to “Jump to unemployment
  • Click on the blue “Jump to unemployment” link to get started

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
JL81
Returning Member

I have the exact problem as the original poster for unemployment income from a 1099-G. I followed the steps you outlined for entering that information, but am still getting the same message as the original poster. I cannot file my taxes until this issue is resolved. Please advise. 

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies