turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

We purchased a solar system in 2020 for $55,000. In 2021, we received an income check for our SREC's. How do I file this investment and income?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

2 Replies

We purchased a solar system in 2020 for $55,000. In 2021, we received an income check for our SREC's. How do I file this investment and income?

deleted incorrect reply

@DanPaul02 wrote:

After you receive enough income from SRECs to recover the $55,000 investment, then additional SREC's will be taxable income.

The credits are taxable income from day 1.  See IRS ruling

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-wd/1035003.pdf

You would report them as "other income".  You are not a small business selling electricity, so this is not going on a schedule C or subject to self-employment tax.  

The payor is probably required to issue a 1099-MISC if the payment is more than $600 in any year.  You can enter this as income.  Even if the payments are smaller and no 1099 is issued, you would enter this as other miscellaneous taxable income.

Use your Intuit Account to sign in to TurboTax.
By selecting Sign in, you agree to our Terms and acknowledge our Privacy Statement.
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies