turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

bpm7usa

Unaware of a 401k from previous job, I withdrew the entire balance when I learned it changed hands to a mutual fund as a rollover IRA. I probably have this account for years. What do I do?

Discovery and withdrawal all happened in 2019.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

3 Replies
ColeenD3
Expert Alumni

Unaware of a 401k from previous job, I withdrew the entire balance when I learned it changed hands to a mutual fund as a rollover IRA. I probably have this account for years. What do I do?

If you physically withdrew the money and rolled it over, you should get a 1099-R showing that. When you get it, include on your return. If it was a trustee to trustee rollover, involving no payment or distribution to you, you should not be receiving Form 1099-R and there is nothing to report on your tax return.

bpm7usa

Since I withdrew last year, would I receive the form 1099-R this year like I would my W-2 for earnings last year? Also do I have to file anything to make up for a lack of past reporting? My account statement says it opened in December of 2017 (which means I had my 401k in 2016 and likely before). Also I've got a Form 5498 (that came with the check) telling me what the rollover contributions were and what the fair market value of the account was.

KurtL1
Expert Alumni

Yes, you will receive a Form 1099-R this year on the distribution from your 401(k). These forms are required to be mailed out by January 31st.

You were not required to report any activity on your 401(k) for 2017. You do not need to file any forms related to the 401(k) that was opened in 2017. The 401(k) contribution should have been reported on your 2017 W-2.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies