Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax is saying I deferred part of my social security last year and will be getting a W2C. However my employer says I didn't defer and won't be issuing a W2C.

Agreed!

Turbotax is saying I deferred part of my social security last year and will be getting a W2C. However my employer says I didn't defer and won't be issuing a W2C.

Yeah I have the latest update and it's 02/25 and I am still getting the same error message.

DawnC
Expert Alumni

Your social security tax in Box 4 should be exactly 6.2% of your Box 3 amount - up to a maximum of $8,537.40 per taxpayer.   Employers had the option to defer your portion of social security taxes.  If you want to be sure that your employer did not do this, verify with them.   The only one I know of that did do it is the federal government, including the military.  

If you don't have self-employment tax, and Box 4 of your W-2 is 6.2% of your Box 3 wages, and you know your employer is not sending a W-2c, you can safely ignore that message.  This is not an error that will prevent you from filing and won't affect your tax return.   Revisit the section for the Self-employment tax deferral entry if you want to verify your entries:

1. Return to the Deductions & Credits section.
  2. Scroll to Tax relief related to COVID-19 and Show More.
  3. Select Self-employment tax deferral and select Revisit.
  4. Answer NO - this may remove the error message.    @Twmclaughlin    @jfulcher
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Did the math on my W-2 and it is $180.07 short of 6.2%. I worked for the Census this year and they have yet to make contact with me or send a W-2C. 

Should I send a check to FICA for this amount or sit tight until notified by the Census?

SamS1
Expert Alumni

I would ignore the message and continue to file your tax return.  If you do receive a W2c in the future, file an amended return through TurboTax, if needed.  If your total SS wages from multiple W2s exceeds 137,700, then you will need to file an amended return to get the excess social security tax refunded.  If you do not reach that wage threshold, you will not need to file an amended return if you receive the W2c.

I did file and IRS accepted my return.   I now understand that it is my Employer that did a deferral not me.

Thank you for the follow up reply, much appreciated.

So mine said the same thing when I filed a couple days ago. I then asked my boss and the owners of they knew anything and they said they didnt? So I'm hoping just a glitch. 

I was having the same issue, and it was due to an import error. I imported a W-2, but the amount in box 3 did not match on the import and the paper copy. 

JeffreyR77
Expert Alumni

If you believe you received this message in error, you can continue to file your tax return.

Interesting ,  I also did the import , I checked and it is correct but still got the error.  It is a bug that need to be fixed.

I had the same issue with the W2C flag alert even though I checked over and over again and determined all SS taxes were deducted correctly, meaning I paid out the maximum for the year. Here's what I did. I waited a few weeks, then downloaded all the latest Turbo Tax updates. Then I ran the return again and it came back with no errors so I efiled it. I have no choice except to assume the latest updates fixed that W2C glitch. I am wondering if anyone else tried it this way or if Turbo Tax support recommended to do this. 

I got the deferred thing too! I've never deferred anything in my life...let alone on taxes. So...when I got that notice, I just quit my filing on Turbo Tax. I will use another program. I don't have time for this nonsense. 

Chrissy, give it a try, do what I did before you move on. download the "latest updates"  when you open TurboTax, then start the return again as if you never had done it, then see what happens. I am curious to see if that fixes it for you too.  

DMarkM1
Expert Alumni

The latest updates should have corrected this message protocol.  However, the message is for notification only.  It does not affect your tax return calculation or filing.  You can ignore it and file as usual.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Mark is correct.  TT has updated the program and the problem has been solved.  If you are still having the problem Go to the online tab at the top left row, select Update.  If your program is up-to-date, the error message should not appear.  Close the return, restart the program. Continue the return including the state.  Then run the Error reports.  Should be gone.  Hope this helps.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies