Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

Turbotax is saying I deferred part of my social security last year and will be getting a W2C. However my employer says I didn't defer and won't be issuing a W2C.

Same here this must be a bug.

Turbotax is saying I deferred part of my social security last year and will be getting a W2C. However my employer says I didn't defer and won't be issuing a W2C.

It still shows that I will receive a W2C which I won't.  I checked for updates before I verifying if turbo tax will continue to show this message.  Now what should I do?

toddsumner1987
Returning Member

It has to be a bug in the program.  The maximum earnings subject to the Social Security payroll tax is $137,700.  If you multiply by 6.2%, the maximum tax amount that can be withheld is $8537.40.   My W-2 has this exact amount and I am receiving the same message.   

TurboTax needs to get this corrected quickly.

toddsumner1987
Returning Member

Yes, it is a bug that needs to be fixed.

I am also receiving the same Turbo Tax message that a W2C will be coming due to underpayment of Social Security Tax.  I have been using TT for years, this is a software problem.  I went back two years and the tax is exactly correct at the 6.2% level.

Message to Turbo Tax, please find the software problem and fix.

I am also receiving the same Turbo Tax message that a W2C will be coming due to underpayment of Social Security Tax.  I have been using TT for years, this is a software problem.  I went back two years and the tax is exactly correct at the 6.2% level.

@jsheldon1 

Check back on Friday...TTX certainly knows...here's the FAQ issued 18 hrs ago

https://ttlc.intuit.com/community/diagnostics/help/why-am-i-seeing-heads-up-you-have-a-w-2c-coming-w...

We'll all find out then how good (or bad) a job they did at fixing it....along with any unintended consequences from the supposed "fix". 

Not that the notice/message is needed at all...I think they should just get rid of it all together and not even bother testing for it.   

(like the tens/hundreds of thousands of people who get W-2 forms with box 4 blank because that job is entirely out of the SS system)

____________*Answers are correct to the best of my knowledge when posted, but should not be considered to be legal or official tax advice.*
berardo55

I got same. This is a bug, but you can submit taxes anyway.

DFE2

Yep me too.  If this is a TT bug, why aren't they fixing it?

vb10123

Same issue, but I actually overpaid Social Security on my 2019 return. It is also saying I have excess contributions to my HSA in 2019, which I do not.  Hope this gets resolved soon. 

AkinaLO
Intuit Alumni

This is a known issue. If you believe you received this message in error, you can continue to file your tax return.

We expect this issue to be resolved by 2/26/2021. If you’d like to receive progress status updates, please sign up here.

For info on self-employed tax credits and social security tax deferrals related to COVID-19, go here.

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

Crazy- it’s telling me same thing and my W2 is correct. Don’t appreciate added stress. I am disappointed in their software this year. 

What is funny is I paid the maximum social security tax for 2020 which according to google is 8,537.40.

How exactly is anything deferred if I paid the maximum?

Irene2805
Expert Alumni

Some customers are incorrectly getting a message that "...a W-2c is on the way."  Even if this is true, it doesn't prevent you from filing your return now.  The IRS won't audit you for that--your employer is responsible for withholding the correct amount of Social Security tax.

To ease you mind, you can review your W-2 and make sure that:

• Box 4 is at least 6.2% of box 3; and
  • Box 4 is less than the maximum of $8,537.40. 

@blahtax123

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies