turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Turbotax is asking me to fill out line 18 of the Maximum Deferral of Self-Employment Tax Payments section. I don't know what to enter.

I had a 1099NEC for 2020 for the amount of $2,100 working as a tester. I am low income and make about 20,000 a year. I am not sure what to add to line 18 "Enter the portion of line 3" Which line 3? and if I look on previous page line 3 is empty.
Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

44 Replies

Turbotax is asking me to fill out line 18 of the Maximum Deferral of Self-Employment Tax Payments section. I don't know what to enter.

Also above the boxes to fill it says "SCH SE-T Max deferral line should be blank" 

This is on my Schedule SE.

So confusing.  

AnnetteB6
Employee Tax Expert

This question is associated with the option to defer paying some of your self-employment tax due to Covid.  

If you do not want to defer any of the self-employment tax, then enter '0' for line 18 when you see the review question in the error check.

If you do wish to defer paying the self-employment tax, then line 18 is asking for the portion of your Schedule C and/or Schedule F profit that is attributed to March 27, 2020 through December 31, 2020.  

To go back to the input screens related to deferring Self-Employment tax if you qualify, look in the Deductions and Credits section of your return.  Then find the Tax Relief related to Covid-19 section, then Self-employment tax deferral.

When you click Start or Update beside this section you may see a message that you do not qualify to defer the self-employment tax.  If this is the case and you did enter a number during the error check process, then be aware that nothing is being calculated as part of your return as a deferral.  

**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"
TLC10

Hello Everyone,

If you enter 0 in line 18 , because you do not want to defer your tax payment.  Would this also be suggesting you did not make any income through those months.  It seems like this could cause some other issues.  Is this the correct way, or is there another way?

Thank you all

AmyC
Employee Tax Expert

If you are getting a refund, you do not qualify to defer, so your answer would not matter. If you do owe money and do not want to defer it, entering a zero is fine. The worksheets are just to help you get the correct information for what you want on your tax return. If you do not want to defer the debt, no problem.

@TLC10

1040SR "Deferral for Certain Schedule H or SE Filers Smart worksheet" calculates the amount of self employment (SE) taxes you might want to defer.  If you don't want to defer taxes and enter 0 on line 11 you will get an error message from TurboTax say the number must be greater than 0.  The answer is to leave the cell blank and TurboTax will no longer generate an error code.

An error code will still pop up if you enter zero or leave it blank. I am getting a refund and do not want to defer any taxes.  How to move forward from this problem.  For the first time in 8 years I am about ready to try a different Tax software. 

dhammer

I am having this same issue as well and cannot move past it. Have you had any luck yet getting past this? 

LinaJ2020
Expert Alumni

This question is related to the option to defer paying some of your self-employment tax due to Covid.  To see TurboTax discussion, click here: SE employment deferral

The Coronavirus, Aid, Relief and Economic Security Act (CARES Act) gives self-employed taxpayers the option to delay paying a portion of their Social Security taxes when they meet certain requirements.

The option to defer only applies to Social Security taxes for self-employment income you earned from March 27, 2020 through December 31, 2020. This income is typically reported on Schedule C (profit or loss from business) or Schedule H (for household employees) of your tax return.

I am confused by the Self-Employment Tax Deferral.  When going through the guided questions, it asked if I would like to defer these tax payments.  I selected No, but was still asked to enter an amount during the final checks in line 18.  Based on the answers on this topic, you would think TurboTax would automatically enter $0 on Line 18.  Regardless of selecting Yes or No for deferred payments, I received a message saying I was not qualified for deferred payments (since I am receiving a refund).  Since, I did not understand what amount should be put on line 18, I entered a dollar amount.  It now looks like it is setting up a deferred payment.  How do I go back into the form to change line 18 to $0?  Changing the answer in the guided questions does not change the value on line 18.  I am using the Online version of TurboTax.

This error has been happening to some TurboTax users.  

Sign in to TurboTax on a browser

Go to Tax Tools, Tools, Delete a Form

Delete Form 1040 and 1040 Worksheet

Delete Schedule 2

Then review your federal return again and a new 1040 and Schedule 2 will be created that should not have the error.

If the error does continue, just ignore it.
It does not apply to you because you are receiving a refund.

serpro21

I tried this by deleting sch 2 but the error persist.  I have to send my return by mail will this affect my taxes if does not get an ok?

If anyone is still having this issue of not being able to continue, delete the zero's in line 18 - 22 and leave them blank.  I just did this and was able to move forward. Hope this help!

bryanguyen9800
Returning Member

Double click on Line 18 schedule SE, it will pop up small window, check the box " to NOT print this support details", and then close it. It will help

ASIA LEE

I had the same error when I tried to file I put in an amount that I thought I would have made because everything I did was not allowing me to move forward until I did that. Will this cause a delay in my refund or cause my refund not to be approved? I already received state and got an email stating federal was accepted but it still says processing.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies