Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Trying to delete form 3514, but it's not in my form list, so I deleted California Credits Worksheet; but it doesn't erase. What do I do?

Trying to delete the form because when I go to review my taxes before submitting, it says I need to type in my business information which I do not have. I am paying SECA because I am filing as clergy. 
It looks like I didn't use this form last year when I filed similarly through TurboTax. Wondering why I have to now, and the best way to proceed. 
Thank you!
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

9 Replies
ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

Trying to delete form 3514, but it's not in my form list, so I deleted California Credits Worksheet; but it doesn't erase. What do I do?

The California earned income credit Form 3514 would be associated with the federal earned income credit that is calculated on the Earned Income Credit Worksheet in the federal forms section. You may need to delete that worsheet to be able to delete form 3514.

You should look on line 27 on your federal Form 1040 to make sure you don't have an earned income credit on your federal tax return before you delete the worksheet though.  

You can view your form 1040 and schedules 1 to 3 while working in the online version of TurboTax by following these steps:

1. Click on Tax Tools in the left menu bar
  2. Click on Tools
  3. Look under Other Helpful links….
  4. Choose View Tax Summary
  5. Look in the left menu bar and choose Preview my 1040
  6. Scroll down the page to see form 1040 and schedules 1 to 3
**Say "Thanks" by clicking the thumb icon in a post
**Mark the post that answers your question by clicking on "Mark as Best Answer"

I appreciate your help with this. I had a followup question, just to be safe. I went to delete the EIC federal form from my list of forms (because I am not taking the credit); is it called Earned Income Worksheet? Would this be linked to other earned income items I'd need to keep included in my taxes, or is it only related to the EIC?

Also, when I want to delete this form from my state, I see something called California Credits Worksheet. Does this also include other credits I need or only the EIC? Hopefully you, or someone else familiar with the TurboTax software can help! (I wonder why they don't simply list the different forms such as 3514 since that is the specific one I want to delete).

Thanks again in advance!

ThomasM125
Expert Alumni

The federal EIC credit form would not affect anything else. The State of California Earned Income Tax Credit form does include the Young Child Credit and Foster Youth Tax Credit. If you delete those forms it should not affect anything besides those credits on your tax return.

mnadell

I am having the same issue.  No form 3514 and there is no information in line 27 of Federal Tax return.  I am not able to complete the return to file.  

bsilber

I have same problem. It is trying to give me state EIC but I cannot claim this. It is not being claimed on Federal. I deleted form 3415 and momentarily the state EIC goes away. But then when I go to file, EIC comes back. I cannot file with it claimed. Please help.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

Try deleting the entire California return and then adding it back/preparing it again. In TurboTax Online, you can click the trash can icon next to the Edit button on the line showing the name of the state.

Then, see if that 3514 form still appears as a form in your California return. To see your list of forms, go to tax tools>tools>delete a form.  Check to see if the 3514 is there, along with any Federal earned income credit forms and delete them as well.

@bsilber

@mnadell

bsilber

Ok, I tried that. When I re-did it and deleted form 3514, it takes the CA state EIC out. But then it automatically goes back in when I go to file. I also deleted Federal form 1040. I don't know if there is anything else I should delete. I still cannot file my taxes with the EIC in it, please help.

MonikaK1
Expert Alumni

If deleting the form and redoing the California return causes the credit to reappear, it appears that TurboTax may be correctly calculating that you qualify for the California Earned Income Credit based on the other information in your return, and is therefore including the credit. The program must include it if calculated in order to satisfy the terms of the Accurate Calculation Guarantee.

If you appear to qualify for the credit based on the entries in your return but choose not to receive it for other reasons (you stated you "cannot" claim it), you could go back through the interview questions and insert an answer that would disqualify you for the credit, or you could choose to file by mail and not include the credit.

See here for the eligibility requirements for the California Earned Income Credit.

You can review the form at this link for more information.

irritated2
Returning Member

Had the same question and noticed people have asked something similar since 2019 :  how do I delete California Form 3514 because I do not qualify for Earned Income Credit,  but I can't submit my taxes online until I fill it out?   Here's what worked for me.  During the final review, I went ahead and filled in the 3514 questions.  Gave it my address, a company name like "TurboTaxPleaseFIXthis" and a business code 99999, and whatever else it asked.  Then after the final review found no more errors, I deleted the form.  I then submitted my taxes but (and this is key) I skipped reviewing it one more time.  If you review the forms again, you will have to reenter the 3514 form, delete it, in an endless cycle.  The returns were transmitted without any more issues.  To delete a form using the online software, go to the left-hand menu -- this link describes how to delete:  https://ttlc.intuit.com/turbotax-support/en-us/help-article/tax-forms/view-delete-forms-turbotax-onl...

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies