turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

jlo1one

Where do I enter a ira to roth conversion in turbotax. I know I have to pay taxes on the conversion so I want to do "what if" scenarios to see the tax consequences?

my income is around 156,000 is there a limit to how much I can convert?

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

11 Replies

Where do I enter a ira to roth conversion in turbotax. I know I have to pay taxes on the conversion so I want to do "what if" scenarios to see the tax consequences?

The easiest way to get to the 1099-R entry screen is to simply search for 1099-R (upper- or lower-case, with or without the dash) in your TurboTax program and then click the "Jump to" link in the search results.

Or Enter a 1099R under
Federal Taxes
Wages & Income

Then scroll way down to Retirement Plans and Social Security,
Then IRA, 401(k), Pension Plans (1099R) - click Start or Revisit
Carl
Level 15

@VolvoGirl I'm not sure, but how you report it may depend on if it's a conversion or recharacterization, and one affects the AGI while the other doesn't. Don't know which is which. But how it's reported would also depend on if it's a trustee-to-trustee transfer or not, I would think. I myself am not exactly up to snuff on this. Just wanted to point it out, just in case.
dmertz
Level 15

There is no limit on the amount you are permitted convert (other than being limited to the amount in the traditional IRA).

VolvoGirl's comment above describes how to reach the page to enter a Form 1099-R to report a Roth conversion.  On TurboTax's 1099-R form enter:

• Box 1 = amount converted
  • Box 2a = Box 1 amount
  • Box 2b = Taxable amount not determined marked
  • Box 7 = code 2 if under age 59½, code 7 if over age 59½
  • IRA/SEP/SIMPLE box = marked

For maximum benefit of the conversion, you'll want to decline tax withholding on the conversion and pay the taxes with other funds.  That means that you might need to pay estimated taxes to avoid a tax underpayment penalty.  If you are under age 59½, have taxes withheld, and do not substitute other funds to complete the conversion of the amount withheld for taxes, the amount withheld for taxes will be reported on a separate code 1 Form 1099-R with the withholding amount in boxes 1, 2a and 4, subject to a 10% early-distribution penalty.

Remember that the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act of 2017 eliminated the possibility of recharacterizing a Roth conversion, so  Roth conversions can no longer be undone.

For this to be 2018 income, the deadline for making the distribution from the traditional IRA to make the conversion is December 31, 2018.

I'm running some what if scenarios and find that at $10,000 for box 1a and 2a and 2b checked with box 7 marked 7 and IRA/SEP checked, I would owe zero tax. HOWEVER, if I bump that to $12,000, the tax owed skyrockets to  $9,977. How is that possible if tax rate is 12% for under $75k agi??

@ImAndy wrote:

I'm running some what if scenarios and find that at $10,000 for box 1a and 2a and 2b checked with box 7 marked 7 and IRA/SEP checked, I would owe zero tax. HOWEVER, if I bump that to $12,000, the tax owed skyrockets to  $9,977. How is that possible if tax rate is 12% for under $75k agi??

You do not provide enough information to answer.  It depends on how much the tax would be before you "bumped" it to $12K, and what you other income an credits might be.  EIC, and other credits can decrease as your taxable income increases.    The tax owed is not based on the incime alone but the elimination of credits will also increase the tax owed.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

To find the reasons you need to compare 2019 Forms 1040 and Schedules 1 through 3 with and without the extra $2,000 of income.

at $10k conversion entered, it shows no tax owed. at $12k it shows $9,977.

schedule 3 does show that I'm utilizing $9,977 in premium tax credits. Seems odd that if I surpass that amount of the tax credit, the incremental tax goes up significantly (much more than 12%)

Schedule 3 line 9 comes from the 8962  form line 26 - look at that form with and without the additional amount to see the calculations.

**Disclaimer: This post is for discussion purposes only and is NOT tax advice. The author takes no responsibility for the accuracy of any information in this post.**
dmertz
Level 15

The results suggest that an increase in your AGI by $2,000 causes you to lose all of your PTC.  As macuser_22 indicates, Form 8962 will show the reason.

Are you self-employed and are taking a self-employed health insurance deduction with respect to this insurance?

Thanks for that reply.  

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies