turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

The total of tax exempt interest income on my 1099-int forms is more that what turbo tax is showing on form 1040 line 2a .

When I add up the tax exempt interest on my 1099-int forms ( these amounts also show up on schedule B worksheet) the amount is $1747 more than what shows up on the 1040 line 2a . I can not figure out where the difference was calculated

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

1 Best answer

Accepted Solutions
Anita01

The total of tax exempt interest income on my 1099-int forms is more that what turbo tax is showing on form 1040 line 2a .

Click on the Forms icon ont he upper right, then on the 1040 on the left.  Right-click on line 2a to go to the source and see that makes up that number.

View solution in original post

8 Replies
Anita01

Click on the Forms icon ont he upper right, then on the 1040 on the left.  Right-click on line 2a to go to the source and see that makes up that number.

already done that .. the numbers shown on the source worksheet are correct but are more than line 2a
ncbells

Me too. Any solutions?

Mine is too. Has anyone solve or figure out this problem?
ncbells

I'm guessing it has something to do with box 13 ( bond premium) but I can't get the numbers to add up!
tsunghua
Returning Member

Same here.  Not sure what can be done other than overriding.  I observed Dividends Income Smart Worksheet mis-labels Box 11 as Box 10.  But not sure this anomaly would have anything to do with the issue.  

I finally figured this out.   You need to take your total tax exempt interest as reflected on line 8 of your 1099-INT, subtract the amortized bond perium on line 13 of your 1099-INT and then add to this any tax exempt dividends as reflected on on line 11 of your 1099-DIV.   The IRS 1040 instructions explain this well.

rgazzo

Thank you so much.  that was the answer.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies