Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
turbotax icon
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements
Event: Ask the Experts about your refund > RSVP NOW!
Close icon
Do you have a TurboTax Online account?

We'll help you get started or pick up where you left off.

Connect with an expert
x
Do you have an Intuit account?

Do you have an Intuit account?

You'll need to sign in or create an account to connect with an expert.

RChisholm
Returning Member

The new tax bill eliminated the RMD I owed for 2020 filing. What happens to the federal tax that was withheld by the custodian when the RMD was issued to me?

Yes, I reported it all, it says "rollover" on line 4 b, and the federal tax tax withheld was included on line 25b.   But I included the entire amount when I rolled it all back over into my IRA, including the federal tax amount withheld.   Doesn't that mean I paid the federal tax twice?    The federal tax was $1200 which was withheld and included in my overall tax obligation, and then another $1200 I paid with private funds back into the IRA.     I think I would be fine had I rolled over the entire amount LESS the $1200 federal tax.   

dmertz
Level 15

The new tax bill eliminated the RMD I owed for 2020 filing. What happens to the federal tax that was withheld by the custodian when the RMD was issued to me?

You didn't pay any tax on the distribution.  What was withheld was either refunded to you by the IRS or reduced the balance that would otherwise have been due with your 2020 tax return.  The refund or reduction in balance due replaced the funds that you substituted to complete the rollover.

message box icon

Get more help

Ask questions and learn more about your taxes and finances.

Post your Question
Manage cookies